This is topic Whoa... is this suppose to happen? in forum Research Lab at The Azure Heights Forum.

To visit this topic, use this URL:
https://www.math.miami.edu/~jam/azure/forum/buzz/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=000436

Posted by abz1986 (Member # 150) on 10-27-2000, 10:27 PM:

How come I can't get Phanfy or Donphan in my
Gold version? Instead, I get the 2 bears(forgot names). I mean, in my japanese silver, I get those two bears... and in my friends Japanese gold, he gets phanfy and donphan.

Is Gold suppose to get the bears, or is my cart screwy?

Oh btw, what other items can you get when trading your rby pokes to Gold/Silver besides:
Normal Box
Brightpowder
Bitter Berry

------------------
"I'm not poot poot to poot of poot. Its poot but poot at the poot poot. " - poot poot man

Posted by Jackdaw (Member # 118) on 10-27-2000, 10:39 PM:

This is stange, but I've heard of this before.

Originally, I have read that Gold contains Donphan and Silver contains Ursaring, but when I said this to someone when the American version came out, they told me otherwise. It would seem for some idiotic reason, in the American version of Pokemon G/S, the availibility of Donphan and Ursaring are reversed. I don't know why, but that seems to be what it is.

------------------
I could put something funny and witty here, but I'm not. So there.

Posted by JP Nogueira (Member # 962) on 10-28-2000, 04:20 PM:

Hi people!

I have caught phanpy and Donphan in my silver version, but no trace of Ursaring. So, maybe they changed some things in the USA version.

And I have traded Snorlax from my Blue cart and he came with Leftovers. I think this is because when you get snorlax near viridian city, it already has leftovers.

Ok, see ya!
JP Nogueira

------------------

Posted by Philbo (Member # 443) on 10-28-2000, 05:31 PM:

In my Japanese Silver you cannot get Donphan.....

Maybe it's *shudder* random.....

------------------
Philbo, you rock.- Cat-Gonk
Hell yes, Philbo- cfalcon
AIM:Philbosan

Posted by Lugia -The Flying Fish (Member # 1044) on 10-28-2000, 09:10 PM:

No, NOA changed it around. I don't know why they switched Pokemon...but they did.

Posted by Lunair (Member # 681) on 10-29-2000, 12:37 AM:

quote:
Originally posted by JP Nogueira:
...And I have traded Snorlax from my Blue cart and he came with Leftovers. I think this is because when you get snorlax near viridian city, it already has leftovers.

Hmm... interesting... this would seem to imply that you could trade the same Snorlax back and forth to get more and more leftovers. Not that it has any real significance, what with the ability to duplicate pokemon (and their attached item), but this means that you are meant to have as many Leftovers as you want.

If multiple members of your team have the Amulet Coin (assuming you duplicated it), do you get even more money? Or still just double?

-Datax

------------------
'Yes, I passed on your message to Mr. Zarniwoop, but I'm afraid he's too cool to see you right now.'
-The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Posted by Meganium (Member # 1020) on 10-29-2000, 10:17 AM:

Yeah, some of the pokemon were switched around so nintendo could force little kids into buying the other version that they thought a certain pokemon was in.

P.S. What is up with all of the 'peguin' names below peoples names?

------------------
I live in a tree and bake cookies, so that means I can't have friends?~me

I got beat up by a lawn gnome~me

I like cake

Posted by Meowth346 (Member # 166) on 10-29-2000, 12:04 PM:

I think I know why the switch, and I'm sure many others have figured this reason. Donphan is a grey (silver) colour skin-wise, which Ursaring has brown (gold) fur. that does make sense, right? Putting them into games based on their colours?

--Meowth346

------------------
Researcher in charge of Pokémon Forever, a compilation of about 1/1000th of my work.

Posted by Divine Wind (Member # 1051) on 10-29-2000, 08:10 PM:

In my Japanese Silver I also got Ariados/Spinarak but in my American Silver you get Ledyba/Ledian. I think they may have switched around the Gold-only and Silver-only pokemon

------------------

Posted by Porygone (Member # 805) on 10-29-2000, 08:47 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by Meowth346:
I think I know why the switch, and I'm sure many others have figured this reason. Donphan is a grey (silver) colour skin-wise, which Ursaring has brown (gold) fur. that does make sense, right? Putting them into games based on their colours?

--Meowth346

Don't forget that honey is also a golden-ish color. Bears are "supposed" to enjoy eating honey (Teddiursa's forehead moon glows when it finds honey, and it's paws always have a honey taste on them, which is why they always lick them).

------------------
"This is reality. No one can help you. Sit back and enjoy the show. Rest assured, you fools. This is only the beginning. Let us start a new reign of terror. I will let you live a fantasy beyond your imagination." - Sorceress Edea, Final Fantasy 8

Posted by TeeJay (Member # 265) on 10-29-2000, 10:45 PM:

Yeah, same with my Jap Gold and Eng G/S carts

------------------
"I prefer to call it Smokin' Dope"- StarCaliber, when asked about his High School Smokey Hill

AIM: daBIGTom

Posted by Moltres23 (Member # 26) on 10-30-2000, 04:56 AM:

Well, Gold kept Gligar, so this leads me to beleive that Donphan was moved to Silver due to the two extra ground types available. So now, Silver gets a Steel/Flying and a Ground, and Gold gets a Ground/Flying and a Normal. Much less redundant than Ground/Flying and Ground.

------------------
-Moltres23

Karpe Diem