This is topic Focus Energy.... in forum Research Lab at The Azure Heights Forum.

To visit this topic, use this URL:
https://www.math.miami.edu/~jam/azure/forum/buzz/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=000108

Posted by GolemKong (Member # 16) on 04-13-2000, 04:32 PM:

Okay, so you have determined that Focus Energy does nothing in r/b/y... but does it really do nothing.

Yesterday, I had just restarted my red version, and I had reached Cerulean City. I was facing a machop w/ my beedrill, and I had focus energy on this beedrill because I had planned to use him in stadium. Just for the hell of it, i decided to use Focus Energy, and machop used Karate Chop... it wasn't a critical hit. so i saw this, and thought it was just a fluke, but to be sure, i used harden again and again, and still, no critical hits from karate chop. So after I was fully hardened, i beat him, and went on.
later, I remebered what had happened, and was facing another machop, so i tried it again, and only two of six critical hit.

So, either Karate Chop doesn't critical hit as frequently as I had thought, I was really lucky, or Focus Energy was preventing the move from critical hitting.

Could someone test this out for me?

------------------
"Probability can be a real b!tch."
-Mr. K

"God bless incompetence! "
-Jackdaw

Posted by Wizzymoto (Member # 60) on 04-13-2000, 07:48 PM:

I think it says in the main site that their testing showed that in RBY, Focus Energy actually reduced the crit hit rate of moves like slash and crabhameer

------------------
"The purpose of life is not to try to get to Heaven, but to realize that the way IS heaven"

Posted by GolemKong (Member # 16) on 04-13-2000, 08:44 PM:

quote:
Focus Energy decreases your pokémon's chances of causing Critical Hits on subsequent attacks. Azure Heights researchers have found that:

For attacks that occasionally cause Critical Hits, use of Focus Energy prevents any Critical Hits from occuring.

For attacks that nearly always produce Critical Hits (eg, Slash), the effect of Focus Energy depends upon the relative speed of the battling pokémon. Specifically, it was found that:
when the attacker was much faster than the defender, the CH frequency was not impaired,
when the attacker was much slower than the defender, the CH frequency was reduced to zero, and
when the attacker was only somewhat slower than the defender, the CH frequency was reduced by approximately 50%.
It is unknown at this time whether Focus Energy has any beneficial effects, though it has been determined that using it does not boost your pokémon's Attack rating. It is possible that the normal function of this skill has been impaired by an error in the game code.

Yeah, but this was effecting the pokemon that was attacking me, after my beedril used Focus Energy... Like so:

Beedrill used Focus Energy
Beedrill is getting pumped
Machop used Karate chop
(no critical hit)
Beedrill used harden
Machop used Karate chop
(no critical hit)
Beedrill used harden
Machop used Karate chop
(no critical hit)Beedrill used harden
Machop used Karate chop
Machop used Karate chop
Machop used Karate chop
Machop used Karate chop
(no critical hit)
Beedrill used double needle a few times, and machop fainted.

And i tried it again, and the machop only hit critical 2 out of six times.

------------------
"Probability can be a real b!tch."
-Mr. K

"God bless incompetence! "
-Jackdaw

Posted by White Cat (Member # 42) on 04-17-2000, 03:50 AM:

I had wondered if it decreases the defending Pokemon's CH rate as well, but never tested it. So it looks it Focus Energy can have some use in RBY, if your opponent depends or Slash or Razor Leaf or similar...

Karpe Diem