This is topic First time here, and need help for things. in forum Research Lab at The Azure Heights Forum.

To visit this topic, use this URL:
https://www.math.miami.edu/~jam/azure/forum/buzz/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=000089

Posted by SoreThumb (Member # 233) on 04-05-2000, 05:51 PM:

Backstory:
For mIRC, I'm making a scriptlet that should let someone play Pokémon in Text, not to mention fight others.

Problem:
1. I have no clue on the capture ratio of certain balls.. Do Pokéballs catch Pokemon below level 30?.. Super 30-60?.. Ultra 60-100?.. And do they depend on certain Pokemon?.. Argh!..
2. EXP.. Geez, that is going to be a bit hard, for each Pokemon..?..
3. Stat POINTS given for stat EXPERIENCE.. Marcus's essay is helpful. .If I set what I want for POINTS into the equation. And since mIRC is stoo stupid to do that... I'm going to need the opposite of the equation. -_- Like.. SP == (((234234/234 * SE) ^ .5) + 5) +3) or something. @_@

Things done so far:
1. I am putting the Base Stats into the program.
2. I'm putting the info into the program for Rentals.
3. Cry and whine for help. =p

Thanks for any and all help. =)

------------------

Posted by Meowth346 (Member # 166) on 04-05-2000, 06:45 PM:

Remember in everything that I say, that HEX goes from 0 to FF, and in decimal this is 0 to 255. Don't ask why, that's just how it is for this ^_^

Now, i'm still working on getting the Ball/Catch formulas organized. But this is some various informaiton for you to consider.

When you use a Master Ball, it catches no matter what, save it's not another Trainer's Pokémon, which is uncatchable.

When a Ball is thrown, it selects a random number:
Poke Ball: 0 ~ 255
Great Ball: 0 ~ 200
Ultra & Safari Ball: 0 ~ 150

Now, I'll make somthing called X. If the random number from above is less than X, you've caught the Pokémon.

So, what's X? If the opponent is Sleep or Freeze, then X=12. If not, then X=25.

Then there's figuring HP into this, plus each Pokémon has a catch rate telling how hard they are to catch.

Okay, i may not have been much help, but hop[efully I'll have all of this work on my website soon and available to the public.

--Meowth346

Posted by SoreThumb (Member # 233) on 04-05-2000, 07:18 PM:

When a Ball is thrown, it selects a random number:
Poke Ball: 0 ~ 255
Great Ball: 0 ~ 200
Ultra & Safari Ball: 0 ~ 150

Now, I'll make somthing called X. If the random number from above is less than X, you've caught the Pokémon.

So, what's X? If the opponent is Sleep or Freeze, then X=12. If not, then X=25.

Then there's figuring HP into this, plus each Pokémon has a catch rate telling how hard they are to catch.
Quote---

Thanks for the help! =p
Anyone can guess the HP difference and problem for each PKMN? (Maybe the EXP rate of growth?)

Anyone can cover EXP and the StatPoint equation..? <=)

------------------

Posted by Iyse (Member # 149) on 04-05-2000, 07:21 PM:

How about we phone up NoJ and find out the answers to all these questions...?

------------------

Posted by SoreThumb (Member # 233) on 04-05-2000, 07:23 PM:

Pardon me, like I said, I'm new.. =)

------------------

Posted by Volrath50 (Member # 171) on 04-05-2000, 08:29 PM:

Perhaps differant Pokémon are easier to capture with differant balls. (That did not come out right.)

I mean it's probably luck but I seem to have a better chance to capture the birds with a great ball than an Ultra Ball... Then again it seems that way for everything for me. But espesilly the Rare Birds.....

------------------
"Mew!"
Our friend, Mewtwo

Posted by SoreThumb (Member # 233) on 04-05-2000, 10:36 PM:

Nonono, you misunderstand..
I need the equations to go with the game, so I can put it into my scriptlet.
Hopefully, someon eelse I know knows it, and will join me..
But I doubt he wlil, so, thanks for the help! =)

------------------

Posted by Meowth346 (Member # 166) on 04-06-2000, 08:40 PM:

One thing to keep in mind is that Every Single Pokemon has its own (what I call) "Catch Rate". This is a number that basically says "Caterpie is easy to catch" and "Mewtwo is hard to catch". This number is a vital part of the equation that it played out when a ball is thrown.

Also, Freeze and Sleep effect the catchability. Paralyze probably does, too, though I don't remember.

--Meowth346

------------------

Karpe Diem