This is topic Baby Cup in forum Oddish Memorial Lecture Hall at The Azure Heights Forum.

To visit this topic, use this URL:
https://www.math.miami.edu/~jam/azure/forum/buzz/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=11;t=000163

Posted by Dredite (Member # 33) on 10-13-2006, 03:49 PM:

So guys,

I'm trying to get my fiancee to give Pokemon another chance, since she got fed up after repeating the same damn kill the gyms storyline in RuSa.

So I've decided to make her a baby cup team. And I challenge all of you to think about said Baby Cup?

The rules:

No evolved pokemon, only pokemon which CAN evolve may participate. (It was that, or a huge banned list which I wanted to avoid.)
Level Allowed: 5 (Only)
Set Damage Moves not based on level are banned. (That means no Sonic Boom foolery.)
The standard 6/3 stadium selection rule is optional, but I find it entertaining.

Beyond that, go wild!

For my fiancee, I've put together:

Pichu: Volt Tackle, Thunder Wave, Sweet Kiss, Wish
Clefa: Belly Drum, Body Slam, Shadow Ball, Wish
Belsprout: Sunny Day, Solarbeam, Sludge Bomb, Leech Life
Growlithe (Intimidate): Overheat, Aereal Ace, Agility, Body Slam
Mudkip: Surf, Ice Beam, Endure, Endeavor

And still thinking about the 6th guy, I'd like to get a decent baton passer... the wishes theme for the first half is also fun, as you can psuedo-pass about the wishes to heal pokemon you want. It's a little unbalanced, but her choices for pokemon she liked was rather narrow.

So guys: What are your thoughts on Baby Cup? Has anyone else tried the format before?

[ 10-13-2006, 03:49 PM: Message edited by: Dredite ]

Posted by Fish (Member # 267) on 10-18-2006, 05:55 AM:

Well well, hello there sir.

The current big Pokemon site (www.smogon.com) had a Baby Cup tournament not too long ago. It was pretty much dominated by speedy Staryu's, which are only really countered by Chinchuo, and Arena Trap/Choice Band Digletts. It is a cool thing to try out but when you get into it you quickly find that the it's really a pretty limited game.

[ 10-18-2006, 05:56 AM: Message edited by: Fish ]

Posted by Dredite (Member # 33) on 10-18-2006, 09:40 PM:

Bummer... it seemed like a nice way to give a soft introduction to pokemon though. I think I'll give it a shot.

Any other particularly dominant pokemon I should look out for? I might have to ban Staryu if it's so gamebreaking.

Of course... with item duping I suppose any of the level bracket cups are fairly easy throw a team together for...

[ 10-18-2006, 09:41 PM: Message edited by: Dredite ]

Karpe Diem