The Azure Heights Forum

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Azure Heights Forum   » The Courtyard   » Karp Park   » For people who know physics.

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: For people who know physics.
ceoalex316
Time for the flaming leprosy party
Member # 338

posted 02-28-2003 01:38 PM      Profile for ceoalex316     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I have a bridge building contest, where the winner is determined by the lightest bridge that can support the most weight. The bridge will be built out of flat toothpicks and there should be some height and length requirements. The bridge will be placed between two tables and a hook will be placed at the center of the bridge that will hold up a basket in which we shall load up weight, until either I cry mercy or the bridge breaks.

[Edit:]Know any tips or anything?

[ 02-28-2003, 01:38 PM: Message edited by: ceoalex316 ]

- - - - -
Maximum Penetration Industries.

MewtwoSama
Asshole
Member # 12

Member Rated:
posted 02-28-2003 01:41 PM      Profile for MewtwoSama   Author's Homepage   Email MewtwoSama   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
you can try to understand truss structures in a week or just use a simple arch design
From: Abyss of Evil | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
ceoalex316
Member # 338

posted 02-28-2003 01:47 PM      Profile for ceoalex316     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I was thinking about using the arch design.

But what are truss structures? Are they better than the arch? I have until June to finish this.

- - - - -

IceHawk78
NOBODY IMPORTANT
Member # 1699

Member Rated:
posted 02-28-2003 03:35 PM      Profile for IceHawk78   Author's Homepage   Email IceHawk78   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
...toothpicks?

You sure you don't mean popsickle sticks?

'Cause toothpicks are, you know, weak and all...

Oh well. You should build a causeway.

Ikuse
Farting Nudist
Member # 3037

Member Rated:
posted 02-28-2003 06:36 PM      Profile for Ikuse   Author's Homepage   Email Ikuse   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
WHATEVER IT IS MUST CONSIST OF, OR INCLUDE OF AND OR PERTAINING TO, THE STRUCTURE KNOWN AS AND COMMONLY REFERRED TO, WHEN REFFERED TO, AS A "FLYING BUTTRESS".
MK
is somewhat large.
Member # 1445

Member Rated:
posted 02-28-2003 08:01 PM      Profile for MK     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I think I remember hearing Mr. Wizard (seriously) talk about an efficient way to build stuff and make it strong or something like that. Somehow, make "I beams" if you can...

It'll take 3 sticks to make one I-beam...

It would be like this

|-| where each line represents a stick, I hope this helps somehow... if it's really toothpicks though, making an I beam might be difficult...

ceoalex316
Member # 338

posted 02-28-2003 09:46 PM      Profile for ceoalex316     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I got the beams down. All I need is a good structure.

- - - - -

IceHawk78
NOBODY IMPORTANT
Member # 1699

Member Rated:
posted 02-28-2003 10:13 PM      Profile for IceHawk78   Author's Homepage   Email IceHawk78   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
You're gonna want to have a good arch for the bottom, and if all the stress of the system is put at one point, then reinforce that part very strongly.
Lunair
Farting Nudist
Member # 681

Member Rated:
posted 03-01-2003 12:08 AM      Profile for Lunair     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Triangles are teh win, d00d.

i r teh smrt

And as for the "light" requirements, I suggest investing in either anti-gravity or balloons. They wurk purty gudd for me.

- - - - -
"Pulling together is the aim of despotism and tyranny. Free men pull in all kinds of directions." Terry Pratchett, The Truth.

From: United Union of Onions | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged
Coxy
Hulkamania has run wild over me.
Member # 2297

Member Rated:
posted 03-01-2003 10:19 AM      Profile for Coxy   Email Coxy   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Here's my effort, from our year 12 Physics projects:
Look at my big picture that destroyed the formatting until White Cat came along and fixed it!

It's about half a metre high by two across, and that bunch of weights and retort stands equals 72 kilos. The deck is actually suspended only by the vertical wire stands coming off the main cable.
If there was something to anchor the concrete blocks the right distance apart without bending inwards then it'd be able to take well over 100 kilos without breaking a sweat.

Of course, this is just me showing off, since you gotta build yours out of toothpicks and glue.

[ 03-01-2003, 11:30 PM: Message edited by: White Cat ]

- - - - -
I love nintendolover, but only in a strictly platonic sense.

ceoalex316
Member # 338

posted 03-01-2003 10:34 AM      Profile for ceoalex316     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
My bridge is between two tables with the weight hanging from the middle of the bridge.

- - - - -

Rolken
Vulcan
Member # 7

Member Rated:
posted 03-02-2003 06:04 PM      Profile for Rolken   Author's Homepage   Email Rolken   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Ooh, ooh, I wanna brag about my science achievements too.

Um... um...

At a banquet last night I demonstrated the chemical process of combustion using samples from the table centerpiece. I didn't get any pics tho. =/

Well, it's not fair to take all the credit; the valedictorian helped.

- - - - -
[insert sig here]

kristraj
Farting Nudist
Member # 1360

Member Rated:
posted 03-03-2003 04:42 AM      Profile for kristraj     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
all i can say is use triangles
From: where ever there's a topless blonde | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged
Manuel Calavera
Sock Lover
Member # 1202

Member Rated:
posted 03-03-2003 09:51 AM      Profile for Manuel Calavera     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I made one of these ages ago. It lasted for ages, then tipped over sideways.

- - - - -
Gates is the Saddam Hussein of the consumer technology world. ~ Mr.K

From: Newcastle, Home of Geordies, Brown Ale and The Wildhearts | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged
ceoalex316
Member # 338

posted 03-03-2003 04:57 PM      Profile for ceoalex316     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
What would be stronger? An arch or a triangle?

- - - - -

cfalcon
OLDNBLD
Member # 19

Member Rated:
posted 03-03-2003 05:33 PM      Profile for cfalcon   Email cfalcon   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I actually don't know. You might be able to find out by searching for "Statics", a class engineers have to take as a preliminary to actually learning how to build bridges, they might have some good stuff for you.

- - - - -
Subject: Ninja and Opensource

From: 39°45' N, 104°52' W | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
kristraj
Farting Nudist
Member # 1360

Member Rated:
posted 03-03-2003 07:13 PM      Profile for kristraj     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
im pritty sure the triangle is the strongest geometrical shape, but thats from my limited knowledge

- - - - -
trying is always the first step towards failure

From: where ever there's a topless blonde | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged
Yurika
Farting Nudist
Member # 2525

Member Rated:
posted 03-04-2003 04:40 AM      Profile for Yurika     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ceoalex316:
I have a bridge building contest, where the winner is determined by the lightest bridge that can support the most weight. The bridge will be built out of flat toothpicks and there should be some height and length requirements. The bridge will be placed between two tables and a hook will be placed at the center of the bridge that will hold up a basket in which we shall load up weight, until either I cry mercy or the bridge breaks.

[Edit:]Know any tips or anything?

I had to do this for DT (Design tech) but physics know how does help... What is the criteria... Doesn everyone who does DT in australia have to build a bridge... Anywho have u got a plan simple things roxor...

- - - - -
Remember folks theres no "I" in "Orgy". Now ask yourself "Are you a team player"?

From: Australia, Sydney | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET (US)  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Azure Heights Pokémon Laboratory

© 2000-2019, Maximum Penetration Industries.

Karpe Diem

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author(s). The contents and links have not been reviewed or approved by the University of Miami.