The Azure Heights Forum

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Azure Heights Forum   » Onix Annex   » Azure Pokemon Center   » Please Ignore (unless you have knowledge of Java)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Please Ignore (unless you have knowledge of Java)
oporaca
Farting Nudist
Member # 922

Member Rated:
posted 08-19-2001 05:46 PM      Profile for oporaca     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I'm never that good with subject names. -_-;

Anyway, I am currently making a "program" in C++ that doesn't do anything. The reason? I'm horrible with interfaces.

The good part? It will have tons of linked coding for Pokemon -- damage formulas, etc. that actually work together like the game. It will also have liberal amounts of comments, as well as descriptive variable names.

So, the problem is, to what level of detail should I go to? Should I make this a (working) GSBot, with just battle support, or a complete RPG? (Note that people who use my source code will have to program in the RPG elements in themselves, I'll just be doing experience, etc. that are unnecessary in just battling.)

Also, advice for what variables I need to include for specific attacks would help, too. For example, the number of turns that Safeguard, Light Screen, and Reflect will each wear off in. Or r for Toxic and Leech Seed.

I'll give the code out for free, in return for credit in any programs it's used in. I can eventually also turn it into Java once I'm done, and possibly VBasic.

I'm still in very early stages, though. Don't expect it for a while.

And please don't bother telling me it's been done before, I'm sure it has, but I'm going to do it anyway.

Edit: The project is cancelled, please don't revive this.

P.S. If you know if it's possible (and/or how it is possible) to link Java applets running on different applets, please PM me.

[ 10-27-2001: Message edited by: oporaca ]

- - - - -
I'm a closet Pokémon fan -- all evidence I like Pokémon is locked away in my closet.

MK
is somewhat large.
Member # 1445

Member Rated:
posted 08-19-2001 09:34 PM      Profile for MK     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
"So, the problem is, to what level of detail should I go to? Should I make this a (working) GSBot, with just battle support, or a complete RPG? (Note that people who use my source code will have to program in the RPG elements in themselves, I'll just be doing experience, etc. that are unnecessary in just battling.)"

Why not do all of the above? Since you've already got the main source code, why not release the code and let people take on different tasks? Let someone program a simple stat calc. Someone make a GS/Bot, and someone could work on an RPG even. But, I personally think a G/S Bot would be the coolest to have of the 3, well, the RPG would really be the neatest, but, a G/S Bot is more pratical and wouldn't take near as much time to make an RPG. So, if you want to make an RPG one, cool, but, please make the G/S Bot first, thanks.

Oh, and as for formulas, rules, etc... try http://www.poccil.f2s.com
Maybe that site can help you.

-MK

oporaca
Farting Nudist
Member # 922

Member Rated:
posted 08-19-2001 10:46 PM      Profile for oporaca     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Well, if you haven't seen, I've barely started. But, I'll try to take it just a notch above GSBot level. The only problem is that I don't know how to program all the move's effects compactly. Either I have about fifty variables in the Attack class or I have to program each separate effect. Luckily, I'm already putting in some time savers, like a method in the POKEMON class that paralyzes itself.

- - - - -
I'm a closet Pokémon fan -- all evidence I like Pokémon is locked away in my closet.

MK
is somewhat large.
Member # 1445

Member Rated:
posted 08-20-2001 03:57 AM      Profile for MK     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
This is liable to be what "I" would do, but realize, my ideas are sometimes not the norm...

Have a bunch of variables, like

"int poison"

At the beginning of the program make poison equal zero.

(have 0 = no 1 = yes)

If the player gets poisoned by an attack
{
poison = 1;
}

then at the end of each turn have stuff like

if (poison == 1)
{
[do the poison deduction formula here]
}

then do other stuff for burn, paralysis, etc...

-MK

oporaca
Farting Nudist
Member # 922

Member Rated:
posted 08-20-2001 02:16 PM      Profile for oporaca     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Yeah, I have all the "heavy" status conditions set up in one variable (0 = Ok, 1 = Paralyzed, 2 = Burned, etc.) and all the "light" status conditions set up in one variable. (1 for Confusion, 2 for Attract, 4 for Leech Seed) I still don't know how to set about with the attack's special effects. Will I have to program each one (one section of coding for 10% paralysis chance, another for 30% paralysis chance, another for OHKO moves, etc.) or is there an easier way? Right now, I'm looking toward the former.

Edit: Does anyone have reliable information on GSC Critical Hits?
And should I use GSC or PokeSta rules when in conflict?

[ 08-20-2001: Message edited by: oporaca ]

- - - - -

Continue
Farting Nudist
Member # 31

Member Rated:
posted 08-20-2001 04:59 PM      Profile for Continue   Email Continue   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by oporaca:
Yeah, I have all the "heavy" status conditions set up in one variable (0 = Ok, 1 = Paralyzed, 2 = Burned, etc.) and all the "light" status conditions set up in one variable. (1 for Confusion, 2 for Attract, 4 for Leech Seed) I still don't know how to set about with the attack's special effects.

Are you sure you're doing that right? One variable is fine the "heavy" status conditions since they are exclusive. If you're implementing the others in one variable, you're going to need to do that by bitmap (which looks like you might be doing that based on the examples you supplied.), since they aren't exclusive of each other. Also, coding for Baton Pass becomes a pain with the exact setup you have for "light" status effects as above, since not all of them are passed by Baton Pass, which means doing extra code for that.

quote:

I still don't know how to set about with the attack's special effects. Will I have to program each one (one section of coding for 10% paralysis chance, another for 30% paralysis chance, another for OHKO moves, etc.) or is there an easier way? Right now, I'm looking toward the former.

Whenever I get around to making my own simulator (which isn't going to even start until I finished the research on the moves), I already had this roughly designed.

My design idea was to tack on a couple of extra values to the what is there for each attack (like accuracy, power, etc). One value would be an extra effect code (paralysis, burn, Speed greatly increased, etc.). The other value would be the frequency that this effect code happens (10%, 30%, etc). Standard routines would be created for each of the individual effects.

quote:

Edit: Does anyone have reliable information on GSC Critical Hits?

I'm guessing you didn't look around the Research Forum too much... http://www.math.miami.edu/~jam/azure/forum/buzz/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=1&t=000993

quote:

And should I use GSC or PokeSta rules when in conflict?

Why not do both? You could just test to see if the value of a variable passed in has been set for preference of one over the other. Just use the proper implementation based on that for the rules that are in conflict.

From: Boca Raton, FL | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
oporaca
Farting Nudist
Member # 922

Member Rated:
posted 08-20-2001 05:38 PM      Profile for oporaca     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Are you sure you're doing that right? One variable is fine the "heavy" status conditions since they are exclusive. If you're implementing the others in one variable, you're going to need to do that by bitmap (which looks like you might be doing that based on the examples you supplied.), since they aren't exclusive of each other. Also, coding for Baton Pass becomes a pain with the exact setup you have for "light" status effects as above, since not all of them are passed by Baton Pass, which means doing extra code for that.

Yeah, that's what I'm doing. Thanks for the warning about Baton Pass.

quote:
My design idea was to tack on a couple of extra values to the what is there for each attack (like accuracy, power, etc). One value would be an extra effect code (paralysis, burn, Speed greatly increased, etc.). The other value would be the frequency that this effect code happens (10%, 30%, etc). Standard routines would be created for each of the individual effects.
Actually, I already had this in the coding, I just forgot about it while making the examples. And there are still lots of effects to do after that.

quote:
I'm guessing you didn't look around the Research Forum too much...
You're right, I didn't, because it wasn't urgent, but it's better than having to wait until I need the info to ask. Thanks.

quote:
Why not do both? You could just test to see if the value of a variable passed in has been set for preference of one over the other. Just use the proper implementation based on that for the rules that are in conflict.
Thanks, I hadn't thought of that.

- - - - -

White Cat
Nobody knows why I'm an admin.
Member # 42

Member Rated:
posted 08-21-2001 09:13 AM      Profile for White Cat   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Anyway, I am currently making a "program" in C++ that doesn't do anything.

Bah! I can make a C++ program that does nothing a lot better than yours ever could!

All times are ET (US)  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Azure Heights Pokémon Laboratory

© 2000-2019, Maximum Penetration Industries.

Karpe Diem

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author(s). The contents and links have not been reviewed or approved by the University of Miami.