The Azure Heights Forum

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Azure Heights Forum   » Main Campus   » Omanyte Historical Foundation   » Idiot's Guide to Misdreavus (ie, trying to convince myself that the thing works)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Idiot's Guide to Misdreavus (ie, trying to convince myself that the thing works)
Ancient Egyptian Cat-Gonk
Happy Good Times Fortune Happiness Happity Hocks Cat-Gonk Happifier
Member # 14

Member Rated:
posted 07-08-2001 10:13 PM      Profile for Ancient Egyptian Cat-Gonk   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Idiot's Guide to Misdreavus.

(I haven't actually used one of these things before, hence the "idiot" in the title.)

I didn't believe that this little thing would work, until now.

The Poke:
Misdreavus: Mean Look, Perish Song, Protect, Rest
HP: 323
Defense: 218
Speed: 268
SDef: 268
@

The Problem: Four-turn killtime
Mean Look -> Perish Song -> Protect -> Rest -> Out
followed by Heal Bell or Mint Berry and some in-out Resting in order to attack again.
This means that Misdreavus will take three hits if against a faster Poke, or two hits from a slower.

Now, Misdreavus isn't all that fast, and most viable special attackers are faster. If faster, any special attacker with 278 SA, a 95 power sttack with STAB will KO the thing in three hits and survive unscathed. Same with physical attackers, Misdreavus is so frail that a 258 attack, Stabless Rock Slider will_just_fail to kill it.

However, throw some paralysis and Thunder Waves into the bargain, and the situation rapidly changes. Sure, Misdreavus can't go toe-to-toe against a Paralysed Fire-Blasting Ho-Oh, but it'll take out an uncursed Snorlax using Earthquake in three turns (36% damage per turn) no problems. Of course, Misdreavus won't stand a chance against SE attacks with reasonable power behind them (even a paralysed Miltank's Shadow Ball will just do the trick if it's got a Spell Tag), but you knew that already.

The problem seems to be getting Misdreavus in play, you won't be able to switch in against anything or else you'll take an extra hit. But, as Misdreavus is reliant on Heal Bell for added kills, as well as paralysis, switching would seem to be the best thing to do. The solution would seem to be in the form of Reflect. Sure, it only lasts for five turns, but Misdreavus only needs that many. Thunder Waves should be enough to make special attackers suceptible, and with some skilled deployment you could make short work of other Restbell teams by using ML on the turn that a Rester switches out, meaning that you take one less hit.

How's this for a Misdreavus based team:

Zapdos: Tbolt, Tawve, Reflect, Rest - Miracleberry
Scizor: Bugpower, BP, Agility, Rest/SD - PRZcure berry
Miltank: Heal Bell, Milk Drink, Present, Attract - Leftovers
Starmie: Twave, Reflect, Recover, Surf - Kings Rock
Misdreavus: Mean Look, Perish Song, Protect, Rest - Mint Berry
Marowak: Earthquake, Rock Slide, Fire Blast, Sunny Day (Wak-A-Gonk)- Thick Club

(Note the Item Clause.)

------------------
ÇÃt-gôÑk®: NÔvê·Va£¡Às·§TârR
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
¿Dº ¥õü ßè!iÈvë Ïn G¤dDìsh?
@iM: CatGonk | !rÇ: Tourmaline | I<Q: 83851495
tH3 K¡ttÝ l1Ttér þó)(: --[ http://catgonk.cjb.net ]--

<MrCoffee> Cuz it's the cool thing to do.
<_LugiaStorm_> It's the CAT-GONK thing to do.

From: Perth, Western Australia. | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
BigCheese
Farting Nudist
Member # 1479

Member Rated:
posted 07-08-2001 11:00 PM      Profile for BigCheese   Email BigCheese   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Well, I don't have a Heal-Beller in the team I use Misdreavus in, so I use Pain Split over Rest and attach Leftovers, it works great! Ususally, when you send him into like a Blissey or Miltank or something, you get in the free Mean Look, then you Perish Song, then Protect, then Pain Split, then you leave. He can survive long enough to do that. Well, that's just my opinions on Misdreavus...

------------------
Blissey/Chansey will hold up their proud tradition of beating two or more Mewtwo's in a row!

Psyduck rules!

From: The land of milk and honey...and cheese | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged
Automaton
Farting Nudist
Member # 1234

Member Rated:
posted 07-09-2001 03:03 AM      Profile for Automaton   Author's Homepage   Email Automaton   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Misdreavus is pretty much a Machamp/Normal counter. As such, it generally won't take a damaging hit on the switch in. And most teams that don't have some sort of Whirlwinder present will be scrambling to not lose their pokes. Excessive switching causes a loss in initiative, especially when you have immunities and they don't.

------------------
"Automaton is, well, in no uncertain terms, your god. Or one of, should I say.~CatGonk on AIM chat

spunman
Farting Nudist
Member # 1181

posted 07-09-2001 09:26 AM      Profile for spunman        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
BigCheese: Ususally, when you send him into like a Blissey or Miltank or something, you get in the free Mean Look, then you Perish Song, then Protect, then Pain Split, then you leave.

i prefer to pain split before i protect, so long as the other pokéy has more hp. with leftovers attached, she gets more hp in the end by pain splitting first.

------------------
i am the sandshrew! cu-cu-kachoo!
"hi, i'm spunman. i lost my pinkies in a chees grater accident, so i can't capitalize any words at all. i can place punctuation and apostrophizes." - biffster

Nitro
Farting Nudist
Member # 1885

Member Rated:
posted 07-09-2001 09:33 AM      Profile for Nitro     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Well, I've been using misdreavus ever since I started playing g/s, and the results are stunning. But it can get more complicated than just mean look-perish song-protect-rest/destiny bond/pain split-out. If your misdreavus takes damage on the switch-in(which everyone who uses misdreavus should know is NOT a good thing to let happen) he can immediately protect against the next attack to get back extra health with leftovers. Then you mean look and take damage, protect again, perish song, protect again, and rest/destiny bond/pain split/protect again.

The reason why misdreauvs is so deadly is because snorlax, machamp, and miltank are all dead to it. Now you tell me how many teams you think have at least two out of those three pokemon--or even one out of three, it doesn't matter, it's still a big problem.

But how do you get missy in there? I only switch it in when I know a normal/fighting attack is coming. Once misdreavus is in there, a whole lot of other stuff can be accomplished. I also use zapdos on my team who works great with misdreavus. For example:

It's Machamp vs. your normal type, switch to missy who is unaffected by cross chop. You know he will either switch, or EQ you, so you switch in zapdos. If he EQs, you've switched in zapdos for no damage done. I don't like switching zappy in to machamp cross chops despite taking halved damage because a ch cross chop does about 40% to zapdos...ouch. Now machamp either dies, or must be switched out to someone who has to take a zapdos tbolt in the face.

Finally, I wouldn't use rest on misdreavus. I'd use it instead of pain split, but not destiny bond. Destiny bond just gives you a guarantee of taking out snorlax or machamp, and if a snorlax gets cursed up and looks like it's going to eat your team for dinner what do you do? Simply send in missy and d-bond. With the destiny bonding misdreavus, my all-time record on gsbot is KOing five pokemon using perish song/mean look(I didn't even need to d-bond, but missy still survived that long without a recovery move) in one battle.

Edit: Not to mention that when they are down to one pokemon you can skip mean look and just perish song and watch them go down helplessly.
------------------

[This message has been edited by Nitro (edited 07-09-2001).]

BigCheese
Farting Nudist
Member # 1479

Member Rated:
posted 07-09-2001 10:40 AM      Profile for BigCheese   Email BigCheese   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by spunman:
i prefer to pain split before i protect, so long as the other pokéy has more hp. with leftovers attached, she gets more hp in the end by pain splitting first.

Yeah, it depends on how much damage they've done to you.

------------------
Blissey/Chansey will hold up their proud tradition of beating two or more Mewtwo's in a row!

Psyduck rules!

From: The land of milk and honey...and cheese | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Mad DoctorX
Farting Nudist
Member # 1223

Member Rated:
posted 07-09-2001 12:21 PM      Profile for The Mad DoctorX   Email The Mad DoctorX   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Missy is great, but it deosn't work in Stadium... ;_; My experience with missy is that you should always switch it in when they send in when they send out a Miltank, Blissey, Snorlax, or Machamp. Then if they bother to switch you get a free ML in the procces, and if they are faster than you you still survive long enough to use a recovery move... I think Destiny Bond should be you option if you know that Missy won't take out more than 2 pokes on the opponents's team... But if your good at it then put in a recovery move.... Funny to say My team matches CatGonks almost competly except I still have a boring Death Starmie. Zapdos has enough power to relflect once IMO, so you don't need another reflecter.

------------------

NickWhiz1
Farting Nudist
Member # 30

Member Rated:
posted 07-09-2001 01:09 PM      Profile for NickWhiz1   Author's Homepage   Email NickWhiz1   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
x_x

Destiny Bond Misdreavus certainly has become popular.

Glad I thought of it.

</takes credit>

Oh, come on.

I posted that set (MLook/PSong/DBond/Protect) on Azure in February, while the standard was MLook/PSong/PSplit/CRay. Only now has it caught on.

Actually, I have heard rumors of this set being developed at TPM (of all places!) and PD before I thought it up.

Maybe I'm just stupid.

But I like to take at least partial credit for releasing Destiny Bond Misdreavus into the advanced circles' metagame.

Besides, I got it posted in NP

------------------
"Aww, does the poor widdle Death Stawmie need mommie to kiss away its boo-boo?" - White Cat

"Ugh, that's impossible!" - R-2 Rival, after Belly Drum Lax OHKO'd Mewtwo with Double-Edge

From: Toledo, OH, USA | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Nitro
Farting Nudist
Member # 1885

Member Rated:
posted 07-09-2001 04:01 PM      Profile for Nitro     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Well I dunno about all that Nick, but I know I got it from you and have been using the d-bonder since the moment destiny bond was incorporated into the gsbot. If it's just getting popular now, all I can say is, people are a bit slow.

------------------

Cyb758
Orangutan Spouse
Member # 1681

Rate Member
posted 07-10-2001 02:07 AM      Profile for Cyb758   Email Cyb758   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The second I see a Missy I switch to Gengar. He gets the mean look, second turn he gets off a shadow ball (Missy and mirror coaters are the major reasons for shadow ball) when perish song comes into effect which takes about 200HP from Missy. Next two turns they ALWAYS protect (resting would be suicide) and there's a good chance protect will fail one of those turns with it's reduction in effectivness per use.

Another good counter is to have another mean looker go in and force Missy to go down with it, but that would just suck because every time I do that I end up needing that Pokemon later on.

White Cat
Nobody knows why I'm an admin.
Member # 42

Member Rated:
posted 07-10-2001 04:42 AM      Profile for White Cat   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Missy is great, but it deosn't work in Stadium... ;_;

Woohoo! Perish Trap Switch is the cheapest thing in Metallics.

Now, if they could only tone down Marowak...

------------------
"Thank you for your e-mail. This Internet of yours is a wonderful invention."
-- George W. Bush, to Al Gore

Zerot
I pay schoolgirls to verbally abuse me.
Member # 1295

Member Rated:
posted 07-10-2001 06:53 AM      Profile for Zerot   Author's Homepage   Email Zerot   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by White Cat:
Now, if they could only tone down Marowak...

Word bro. It seems I have the most problems with that thing, however everytime I'VE tried to use the goddamn thing it... hasn't been pretty for me.

From: Lizton, Indiana | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET (US)  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Azure Heights Pokémon Laboratory

© 2000-2019, Maximum Penetration Industries.

Karpe Diem

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author(s). The contents and links have not been reviewed or approved by the University of Miami.