The Azure Heights Forum

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Azure Heights Forum   » Main Campus   » Sakaki Tower   » ROM Disassembly? Bird type compatibility?

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: ROM Disassembly? Bird type compatibility?
XinuX
Orangutan Spouse
Member # 3375

posted 01-21-2005 06:18 PM      Profile for XinuX   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I've been trying to work on a disassembly of the Pokemon Red ROM (I can't stand the newer GBA games) but am hampered by lack of time and lack of knowledge of GB ASM. Has anything like this been attempted?

Additionally, has any research been done into the lost Bird type used by Missingno. (hex code 06)? What are its strengths/weaknesses?

Pokegod
Farting Nudist
Member # 977

posted 01-21-2005 10:06 PM      Profile for Pokegod     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I can answer the second question. Type Bird is neutral all across the board. I did a test on this a few years back.

- - - - -
Pokegod... yeah, that won't look dumb in 10 years

From: Saskatchewan, Canada | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
Cheater
Farting Nudist
Member # 216

posted 01-22-2005 03:05 PM      Profile for Cheater        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by XinuX:
I've been trying to work on a disassembly of the Pokemon Red ROM (I can't stand the newer GBA games) but am hampered by lack of time and lack of knowledge of GB ASM. Has anything like this been attempted?

i think some of the pokemon translations use stuff like dual tile encoding which implies asm hacking was done by someone at one point. which parts of the game mechanics are you trying to edit anyway? most of the hacks for pokemon red out there have made edits entirely to data with no assembly language modifications, but that's probably just out of interest.

- - - - -
KIRBY - A mascot for the NINTENDO company, recently found out to be a real POKéMON. Related to JIGGLYPUFF.

XinuX
Orangutan Spouse
Member # 3375

posted 01-24-2005 03:02 PM      Profile for XinuX   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I'm not trying to edit, more to investigate, get true equations for stats, damage etc. and find out anything about anything removed from the game, including Missingno.

Thanks for the Bird-type data.

Cheater
Farting Nudist
Member # 216

posted 01-24-2005 03:51 PM      Profile for Cheater        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
yeah, necrosaro found true stat equations (among many other things) that way. naturally though, the stuff he's posted focuses on the extracted information and not the boring details of GB asm hacking done to obtain it.

-cheater

- - - - -
KIRBY - A mascot for the NINTENDO company, recently found out to be a real POKéMON. Related to JIGGLYPUFF.

All times are ET (US)  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Azure Heights Pokémon Laboratory

© 2000-2016, Maximum Penetration Industries.

Karpe Diem

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author(s). The contents and links have not been reviewed or approved by the University of Miami.