The Azure Heights Forum

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Azure Heights Forum   » Welcome Center   » Complaints Dept.   » Move the chat to IRC?

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Move the chat to IRC?
CuleX
Orangutan Spouse
Member # 4283

Member Rated:
posted 10-18-2010 07:49 AM      Profile for CuleX   Email CuleX   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Hello,

I'm hoping the Azure Heights administration still pays attention to this sub-forum.

Anyway, I'd like to suggest you to remove your in-house development of an online chat and instead replace it with a Java applet or similar pointing to an IRC channel. IRC has the advantage of being flexible, accessible and platform-independent while not eating too many resources in case you decide to set up your own IRCd.

Even if these forums are maybe dead, placing the channel on some at least moderately large IRC network would give you the chance of having the site and forums blooming up once again, possibly causing for Generation I being popular again.

Thank you,
CuleX

Mr. K
Racist
Member # 2

Member Rated:
posted 10-18-2010 02:12 PM      Profile for Mr. K   Author's Homepage   Email Mr. K   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
We did that once and it was non-stop drama. If there's some way to set one up that's easy to administrate (ie, turn it on and never look at it again), maaaaybe I could care enough minutes in a row to set it up, but otherwise it's probably not worth anyone's time.
From: Cinnabar Island | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
CuleX
Orangutan Spouse
Member # 4283

Member Rated:
posted 10-19-2010 04:22 AM      Profile for CuleX   Email CuleX   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Well, Azure Heights is, frankly, nearly dead and I'm amazed I even got a response so fast, so I doubt there will be too much activity. In addition, I reckon if you start moderating the channel with a not very lax hand, people will stop acting up too much, although IRC consists of drama, more or less. It's something we just have to accept. However, active ops can easily intimidate people trying to grab attention and get rid of them before the big drama begins.

If you don't want to pay attention to it anymore, find someone who wants to. [Razz] There's at least one network that has staff members who would prevent your nick from expiring with a noexpire flag if you plan on going a network with services and don't want to spend time there.

Mr. K
Racist
Member # 2

Member Rated:
posted 10-25-2010 06:47 PM      Profile for Mr. K   Author's Homepage   Email Mr. K   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
There's barely anyone still hanging around, much less someone who both wants and deserves the responsibility.

As long as it requires any maintenance at all, it will pretty much always be a victim of getting "hacked" and all the other IRC nonsense. I can't remember the last time I approved new forum members...every time I check there are always a couple of dozen new ones sitting in the queue, who probably signed up months ago and won't be too excited about the approval they get in their inbox now.

From: Cinnabar Island | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Face
I invented cancer.
Member # 1916

Member Rated:
posted 10-25-2010 08:04 PM      Profile for Face   Author's Homepage   Email Face   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I don't see how letting the chat move to a different channel will help get this place going more, or whatever you are hoping to accomplish with this topic. You see, there's no one here and it helps to know that because this place used to be busy, but I guess it not being as popular as it used is wearing off on this site's age.

Also, Mr. K has it right. Whomever would go to the chat if it were ever moved there, would most likely not want the responsibility of it all, because Mr. K is probably not going to give anyone that responsibility.

[ 11-08-2010, 12:32 PM: Message edited by: Face ]

- - - - -
Weezing!

From: Hackensack, nj | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET (US)  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Azure Heights Pokémon Laboratory

© 2000-2016, Maximum Penetration Industries.

Karpe Diem

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author(s). The contents and links have not been reviewed or approved by the University of Miami.