The Azure Heights Forum

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Azure Heights Forum   » Welcome Center   » Complaints Dept.   » You want some beef? The Pokemon Movie... (Page 1)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: You want some beef? The Pokemon Movie...
Jackdaw
Farting Nudist
Member # 118

Member Rated:
posted 03-25-2000 06:26 PM      Profile for Jackdaw   Author's Homepage   Email Jackdaw   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
SUCKED! Glowing tears of life? LAME!!! I saw the Japanese version, too, and it still blew! Couldn't they just have had Ash blow up and stay dead or something instead of being brought back to flesh? And Mew's voice was changed. Why did they change it? It already says Mew! I think we all became a little dumber from watching that movie. If the next ones to out are twice as good as this one, they'll still suck!

------------------
Your avian friend,
-Jackdaw

Slo Migs
Farting Nudist
Member # 110

Member Rated:
posted 03-25-2000 07:22 PM      Profile for Slo Migs   Author's Homepage   Email Slo Migs   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Yeah I gotta agree. The movie just did not live up to the anime. It seemed like one long, boring episode with no real battles. I mean, the lame plot, I can forgive, but you barely saw any pokemon using their powers. They all just stood around and head butted each other. Then we have the reiteration of the "Fighting is bad" moral three times. However, I think the worst part of the movie was the lack of involvement by Brock, Misty and Team Rocket. They just sorta stood around while Ash played the martyr/hero. I mreally hope the next one is better. I mean, being successful is no reason for being lazy. Oh...and is it just me or did those transitional scenes in Pikachu's vacation freak anyone else out?

------------------
"It's all fun and games until someone gets hurt. Then it's just fun"

From: Los Angeles, California | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
Mr. K
Racist
Member # 2

Member Rated:
posted 03-25-2000 07:27 PM      Profile for Mr. K   Author's Homepage   Email Mr. K   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Slo Migs:
Oh...and is it just me or did those transitional scenes in Pikachu's vacation freak anyone else out

I thought those were the best part of the movie.

Anyway, I thought there were a few really good scenes and the part right before the end was very cool, but the actual ending sucked and the whole thing was fairly disappointing overall.

Still, I know where I'll be July 21...

------------------
KOFFING!
Azure Heights Pokémon Laboratory

From: Cinnabar Island | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Jackdaw
Farting Nudist
Member # 118

Member Rated:
posted 03-25-2000 07:59 PM      Profile for Jackdaw   Author's Homepage   Email Jackdaw   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
In the original Japanese movie, there was no translations. The stupid American producers felt small child were too simple to follow the plot with no talking.
And that thing at the end about Cubone being the Lonely type pokemon: He's the lonely type because he watched team rocket brutally murder its mother and wears its skull! That can't be emotionally healthy ^_^

------------------
Your avian friend,
-Jackdaw

Wizzymoto
Farting Nudist
Member # 60

Member Rated:
posted 03-25-2000 11:12 PM      Profile for Wizzymoto   Email Wizzymoto   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Wouldn't those idiots know they were missing a day of their life at the end. Why didn't M2 just take over all their minds to make them give him their pokes

------------------
"I thought you said you were gonna watch a video"
"We did, an video on how to make your own sausge"

From: Irvine, CA, USA | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
MewtwoSama
Asshole
Member # 12

Member Rated:
posted 03-26-2000 12:07 AM      Profile for MewtwoSama   Author's Homepage   Email MewtwoSama   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Wizzymoto:
Wouldn't those idiots know they were missing a day of their life at the end. Why didn't M2 just take over all their minds to make them give him their pokes

Mewtwo isnt Evil, its just bent on revenge.
At least in the Japanese subbed version i saw.

I still havent caved in and seen the US version yet.

------------------
MewtwoSama
A viscous,Psychic Pokemon that was created by a scientist after years of horrific gene splicing and DNA engineering experiments. It's DNA is almost the same as MEW's. However, it's size and disposition are vastly different. It's cold, glowing eyes strike fear into it's enemies.

AIM: MewtwoSama
E-mail: mewtwo@ureach.com

From: Abyss of Evil | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Slo Migs
Farting Nudist
Member # 110

Member Rated:
posted 03-26-2000 04:10 AM      Profile for Slo Migs   Author's Homepage   Email Slo Migs   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Those transitional scenes might be cool to watch on some really strong Acid or something.

What's happening on July 21? Is that when the next movie comes out? Oh I'll be watching it for sure. The way I see it, the quality of the movies can only go up.

I wonder if Brock will be in the next one. I really hate Tracy.

And why did we not see Team Rocket's pokemon in TFM?! Didn't Mewtwo want a couple Weezing and Arbok clones?!

------------------

Jackdaw
Farting Nudist
Member # 118

Member Rated:
posted 03-26-2000 06:53 AM      Profile for Jackdaw   Author's Homepage   Email Jackdaw   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MewtwoSama:
Mewtwo isnt Evil, its just bent on revenge.
At least in the Japanese subbed version i saw.

I still havent caved in and seen the US version yet.

And lets hope none of us have to.

quote:
I wonder if Brock will be in the next one. I really hate Tracy.

I sure hope that that loser isn't, but he probably will.

quote:
And why did we not see Team Rocket's pokemon in TFM?! Didn't Mewtwo want a couple Weezing and Arbok clones?!

Mewtwo didn't want to clone losers

------------------
Your avian friend,
-Jackdaw

cfalcon
OLDNBLD
Member # 19

Member Rated:
posted 03-26-2000 02:43 PM      Profile for cfalcon   Email cfalcon   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 

Is there a Japanese version with English subtitles or something (not the theatre version)? I hoped something like this existed, but you guys say it is also bad?

Simply put, I couldn't accept the nonsense coming from the characters mouths at the end of the movie. "We're all the same regardless of our origins" is certainly NOT a popular theme in Japan, and I didn't appreciate the "don't be Xist" in my pokémon movie. I'm sorry, it was stupid.

I *loved* the first few minutes with Mewtwo, however. I like the fact that the movie draws a distinction between the other pokémon (some have human intelligence, but none have human awareness) and Mewtwo (cursed with all of the questions the plague humanity without a society to smooth things over). I liked that all of his problems were based on him basically being a human inside a (extremely powerful) monster's body.

That was very cool.

Then it was downhill.

-cfalcon

------------------

From: 39°45' N, 104°52' W | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Jackdaw
Farting Nudist
Member # 118

Member Rated:
posted 03-26-2000 03:18 PM      Profile for Jackdaw   Author's Homepage   Email Jackdaw   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The version I saw was a 'Fan Sub'. You can't find them at most places.

At the end of the movie, they really didn't say all of that stupid stuff.

The begining of the original version was kind of annoying. Mewtwo just said 'Who am I? What am I?' eighty times. Ugh...

------------------
Your avian friend,
-Jackdaw

White Cat
Nobody knows why I'm an admin.
Member # 42

Member Rated:
posted 03-27-2000 12:03 AM      Profile for White Cat   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I found the movie to be largely boring, but the part I really hated was the reject-cliche-from-Star-Trek "Let's erase everyone's memories, thus making the entire movie pointless!" Yeesh, that was awful. Was that in the Japanese version? (I'm guessing that it was.)
Jackdaw
Farting Nudist
Member # 118

Member Rated:
posted 03-27-2000 06:27 AM      Profile for Jackdaw   Author's Homepage   Email Jackdaw   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Sadly, yes.
But Mew didn't sound like a two year old child.

------------------
Your avian friend,
-Jackdaw

Volrath50
Farting Nudist
Member # 171

Member Rated:
posted 03-27-2000 07:55 AM      Profile for Volrath50     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The next movie sounds better from what I read... Plus it features Zapdos as an added bonus .... It sounds like it has a plot at least.... Some guy tries to capture the Rare Birds and Lugia comes when they get together, but for some reason when I capture the birds on my gameboy Lugia doesn't come and destroy stuff... Plus the bad guy's eerie music when he captures Moltres is cool....

But the best part is it features Zapdos

------------------
"Mew!"
Our friend, Mewtwo

From: A little town, somewhere in Canada. | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
Jackdaw
Farting Nudist
Member # 118

Member Rated:
posted 03-27-2000 03:57 PM      Profile for Jackdaw   Author's Homepage   Email Jackdaw   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I've read that, too, but I can't figure out that if ALL of the legendary birds are suppose to be in this movie, where's Houou (not that i care)???

------------------
Your avian friend,
-Jackdaw

cfalcon
OLDNBLD
Member # 19

Member Rated:
posted 03-27-2000 08:06 PM      Profile for cfalcon   Email cfalcon   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
So let me get this straight:

1- The whole: "pokémon aren't meant for fighting" bit wasn't there? (What are they meant for, Misty? Oh that's, right, marketing...)

2- The ending was better, right?

3- I can't find this legit version ANYWHERE?

4- Mewtwo's speech at the beginning wasn't as good?

Did I get the gist correctly?

Hey, are there any Evil pokémon in Lugia's whatever that comes out in July?

-cfalcon

------------------

Walrus Lugia
Farting Nudist
Member # 145

Member Rated:
posted 03-27-2000 10:01 PM      Profile for Walrus Lugia   Author's Homepage   Email Walrus Lugia   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Whell, in Revelation Lugia, the Legendary birds try to kill eachother and lugia to rule the world (egsample, if Articuno won, the earth would be covered by ice and snow) and this movie is cool (my oponion, ASH JUMPS OFF A CLIFF and lives )
Now Mewtwo, the battles were cool but, HEALING TEARS??????? HAHA!

------------------
May the walrus be with you.

A amazing creature, the one of a kind, Walrus Lugia lives deep underwater around Alaska, somtimes refered as the ultimate Pokemon!

From: Seafoam Islands | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
Jackdaw
Farting Nudist
Member # 118

Member Rated:
posted 03-28-2000 06:33 AM      Profile for Jackdaw   Author's Homepage   Email Jackdaw   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by cfalcon:
So let me get this straight:

1- The whole: "pokémon aren't meant for fighting" bit wasn't there? (What are they meant for, Misty? Oh that's, right, marketing...)

2- The ending was better, right?

3- I can't find this legit version ANYWHERE?

4- Mewtwo's speech at the beginning wasn't as good?

Did I get the gist correctly?

Hey, are there any Evil pokémon in Lugia's whatever that comes out in July?

-cfalcon

1) I don't know about this, in the Japanese one they talked about being the same, and how none were better than the other clone. It was stupid.

2) The end was the same (I guess, Mewtwo and the clones all flew away somewhere), but Team Rocket (hey, remember when they were funny? oh wait, they never were!) didn't say all of that stupid stuff about sand castles, they just said "Feels Good!", which the meaning of this is buried deep in the middle of the movie. (they saw the clones fighting and it reminded them of themselves, and they saw what they truely were, responding with "Feels Bad.")

3) eBay! Someone should be selling it.

4) Unless he said "Who am I? What am I?" a whole lot of times, then it wasn't. He said other stuff, but rarely (and this was about 15 minutes)

PS- Did it have Mewtwo slaughter all of the scientist at the lab where he was created and blow up the laboratory and TR HQ?

------------------
Your avian friend,
-Jackdaw

White Cat
Member # 42

Member Rated:
posted 03-29-2000 05:40 AM      Profile for White Cat   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The dub didn't actually show Mewtwo killing the scientists, but the implication was definitely still there.

Hey, I like the way Mew sounded in the dub. (It was just born, after all...)

Jackdaw
Farting Nudist
Member # 118

Member Rated:
posted 03-29-2000 06:29 AM      Profile for Jackdaw   Author's Homepage   Email Jackdaw   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Did it have Charizard biting the clone charizard? (and blood gushed from its neck)

To White Cat: If you heard the original, you wouldn't think that.

Wait, Just born? Mew's ancient!

------------------
Your avian friend,
-Jackdaw

cfalcon
OLDNBLD
Member # 19

Member Rated:
posted 03-29-2000 08:39 PM      Profile for cfalcon   Email cfalcon   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Mew just happened to wake up, I thought...

------------------

Dark Jaguar
Farting Nudist
Member # 187

Member Rated:
posted 03-30-2000 02:00 AM      Profile for Dark Jaguar   Email Dark Jaguar   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The species of Mew is ancient, not nessesarily that one Mew. I liked the movie myself, the tears reviving was fine. The only thing I didn't like was the memory wipe.

------------------
Welcome to DJ Inc., where everything is JUST fine.

Slo Migs
Farting Nudist
Member # 110

Member Rated:
posted 03-30-2000 04:00 AM      Profile for Slo Migs   Author's Homepage   Email Slo Migs   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I have the DVD version of the Pokemon Movie and I watched it with the Producer's commentary audio track. A lot of it was really interesting.

The added narrator in the English version of Pikachu's vacation was there because they didn't think parents would understand what was going on since pokemon can only communicate by saying their names over and over.

The added "fighting is bad" moral was there because they didn't want parents to think that pokemon was a bad influence on their kids.

The "legend of the storm" speech made by the harbor master was new to the American version. It was used to foreshadow and explain what happened at the ending. I guess even THEY thought that the healing tears were hard to believe.

Finally, they added MewTwo psychically blocking the pokemon's powers during the last fight because the Japanese animators had the pokemon fistfighting for no reason. They were expecting a great fight that showed off all the pokemon's powers but when they saw that it was just a big brawl, they felt that they had to explain it somehow.

So basically, I think the movie got screwed because the guys over in Japan were lazy and the guys Stateside were trying to cater to the parents. I'm almost positive that the next one will be better though. I doubt they'd tailor the movie around parents again, since most would have already seen the first movie.

Damn this is a long post. One last note. The Stateside director of the movie (and all of the TV shows for that matter) did the voices of Psyduck and Charmander

------------------

Psybro
Half Psyduck. Half Slowbro. All cop.
Member # 290

Member Rated:
posted 04-18-2000 05:21 PM      Profile for Psybro   Email Psybro   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The Japanese one had Charizard drawing blood from the clone and Mewtwo killing the scientists on-screen? I wanna see that!
Further dumb-ass mistakes: 1)One of the trainers flies to New Island on a Pidgeot. He later refers to it as Pidgeotto.
2)As they watch the cloning process, Team Rocket call Scyther 'Alakazam'. But then, they are supposed to be dumb.

------------------
"Life is like a game of Pokémon; you spend hours preparing everything, only to be beaten by a ten-year-old"

From: Sheffield, South Yorkshire, UK | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
Mr. K
Racist
Member # 2

Member Rated:
posted 04-18-2000 08:40 PM      Profile for Mr. K   Author's Homepage   Email Mr. K   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Psybro:
2)As they watch the cloning process, Team Rocket call Scyther 'Alakazam'. But then, they are supposed to be dumb.

I haven't watched the whole DVD commentary (I went right to the Wigglytuff part), but apparently the sound editor's (or someone like that) caught the error. They said Team Rocket wasn't all that smart, and that it was something fun for the kids to catch, but did admit that it mostly because they were just too lazy to re-tape.

------------------
KOFFING!

Jackdaw
Farting Nudist
Member # 118

Member Rated:
posted 04-18-2000 09:11 PM      Profile for Jackdaw   Author's Homepage   Email Jackdaw   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The dubbers always seem to get lazy. How many times in the anime has that happened?
Firespin is called Ember (Crystal Onix episode)
Growlithe was called Arcanine (somewhere during the pokemon League by a Jenny)

The only reason is they suck. Really, really bad.

------------------
Your avian friend,
-Jackdaw

Mr. K
Racist
Member # 2

Member Rated:
posted 04-18-2000 09:26 PM      Profile for Mr. K   Author's Homepage   Email Mr. K   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Well, it's true that they don't do a thorough job of dubbing and it's often obvious that certain moves are being incorrectly identified.

I've seen about 4 versions of "Double Team" but only Tracey's Scyther really Double Teamed.

But they certainly don't suck much more than other cartoons...and what it boils down to is, it's a kid's show. So...

1. They don't put as much care into things as they ought to, because they think they don't need to.

2. They aren't getting top quality writers/directors/actors.

3. They probably aren't being funded as well as they should be either.

We kinda have to keep everything in perspective...sucking is relative.

------------------
KOFFING!

Jackdaw
Farting Nudist
Member # 118

Member Rated:
posted 04-19-2000 06:34 AM      Profile for Jackdaw   Author's Homepage   Email Jackdaw   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Yeah, I guess your right.
But they could still try a little harder.

------------------
"I must go to the store for butter and cheese." -Zorak

-Your grey plumed friend.

White Cat
Member # 42

Member Rated:
posted 04-19-2000 09:34 AM      Profile for White Cat   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Growlithe was called Arcanine (somewhere during the pokemon League by a Jenny)

And in that movie-making episode, the guy had a statue of an Arcanine and they called it a "Golden Growlithe" (although I didn't mind that, since it makes a nice parody/alliteration).

I've seen about 4 versions of "Double Team" but only Tracey's Scyther really Double Teamed.

So Jeanette's did what then? Substitute? I don't remember what Tracey's did, and the only other "DT" I can recall is Brock's Zubat. What other versions have we seen?

Dark Jaguar
Farting Nudist
Member # 187

Member Rated:
posted 04-19-2000 10:52 AM      Profile for Dark Jaguar   Email Dark Jaguar   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Whenever two Pokémon team up, it is called a double team, oh well it kinda wouold be nice to do that kind of double team in the game, but then it just isn't Pokémon.

------------------

Volrath50
Farting Nudist
Member # 171

Member Rated:
posted 04-19-2000 12:36 PM      Profile for Volrath50     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
What are the odds of Mew/A Mew just waking up and flying to New Island? And WTF is up with the Island being called "New Island"?

When the game first came out my friend and I found the Double Team TM and are like "WOW!!! Now TWO of our Pok-uh-mon can fight at the same time..... " We use it.... "[Pokémon's Name]'s EVADE rose..... That sucks....." And we went over it with some crappy technique like Solarbeam.... And now.... I use DT on half my Pokémon.....

------------------
"Mew!"
Our friend, Mewtwo

From: A little town, somewhere in Canada. | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
Wizzymoto
Farting Nudist
Member # 60

Member Rated:
posted 04-19-2000 01:55 PM      Profile for Wizzymoto   Email Wizzymoto   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
NEw island?? I thought is was called MEW island, oh well

------------------
"The purpose of life is not to try to get to Heaven, but to realize that the way IS heaven"

From: Irvine, CA, USA | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Mr. K
Racist
Member # 2

Member Rated:
posted 04-19-2000 05:46 PM      Profile for Mr. K   Author's Homepage   Email Mr. K   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jackdaw:
But they could still try a little harder.

Oh, certainly. And if they took more pride in their work, they would have. But it's clear that they don't, which is a real shame.

No matter how "childish" the project you're working on is, it should be your duty to do the best possible job. If you don't take it seriously (no matter how silly it is), you shouldn't be doing it, because there are people out there who will take it seriously and you're going to offend them.

However, those people only make up a small amount of the audience, so it's hardly worth it for the producers (money guys) to care, and without their support, you'll never get the cash to, for example, re-tape a bad line.

It all boils down to creating a product for the mass market, which always decreases quality.

As I always say, capitalism encourages mediocrity.

The only time you ever get a superlative product is when some mad genius doesn't listen to the experts (or is so mad that they give him space) and creates something great for himself.

Someone like Walt Disney was capable of that. He's dead, now we have Michael Eisner, and now Disney quality is in the toilet, because the aim is to market to the masses, not do the best that can possibly be done...

------------------
KOFFING!

Mr. K
Racist
Member # 2

Member Rated:
posted 04-19-2000 05:49 PM      Profile for Mr. K   Author's Homepage   Email Mr. K   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by White Cat:
So Jeanette's did what then? Substitute? I don't remember what Tracey's did, and the only other "DT" I can recall is Brock's Zubat. What other versions have we seen?

I don't know who Jeanette is. I'm just talking about that I saw.

Usually you'd see a couple guys team up, or some other effect, some of which looked like other moves. The Scyther duplicated himself a few times so you couldn't tell which one was really him, and that's the only one that made sense, based on the GB animation.

------------------
KOFFING!

ScytherAdo
Orangutan Spouse
Member # 305

Member Rated:
posted 04-19-2000 09:32 PM      Profile for ScytherAdo     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Yes I agree the movie was the biggest wast of $6.25 I have ever seen but you do have to admit the seen when the two Psyducks were smacking each other was pretty funny and also when Charizard got his big head stuck in that hole. Those were highlights for me.

------------------

quote:
My Name Is Tom Ado--Ash

From: Virginia Beach, Virginia | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
Mr. K
Racist
Member # 2

Member Rated:
posted 04-19-2000 09:43 PM      Profile for Mr. K   Author's Homepage   Email Mr. K   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I think the movie had a number of good parts.

The bit with Pikachu being chased down by the evil Pokeballs was really good. If the whole movie was half as good as that scene, I wouldn't have complained at all.

------------------
KOFFING!

Fish
Farting Nudist
Member # 267

Member Rated:
posted 04-19-2000 09:53 PM      Profile for Fish     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Basically, they just made it quick cause it was going to make a bunch of money anyway.
Of course, now I am frightened to see the next one, even though I will out of a sense of duty.

------------------

White Cat
Member # 42

Member Rated:
posted 04-19-2000 11:42 PM      Profile for White Cat   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I don't know who Jeanette is. I'm just talking about that I saw.

Usually you'd see a couple guys team up, or some other effect, some of which looked like other moves. The Scyther duplicated himself a few times so you couldn't tell which one was really him, and that's the only one that made sense, based on the GB animation.

Okay, that's what Jeanette's did too (from "The Fourth Round Rumble"). Of course, that same episode feature Bulbasaur beating Scyther and Beedrill, who its attacks are double-weak to!

Mr. K
Racist
Member # 2

Member Rated:
posted 04-20-2000 01:10 AM      Profile for Mr. K   Author's Homepage   Email Mr. K   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Oh, don't get me started on how many times I've seen pull out the exact worst Pokemon of his lot, only to beat a more experienced enemy anyway...

...at least in the Lt. Surge episode he got his ass kicked first, then went back to rethink his strategy...

------------------
KOFFING!

KeroKato
Farting Nudist
Member # 230

Member Rated:
posted 04-20-2000 01:24 PM      Profile for KeroKato   Author's Homepage   Email KeroKato   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Okay, that's what Jeanette's did too (from "The Fourth Round Rumble"). Of course, that same episode feature Bulbasaur beating Scyther and Beedrill, who its attacks are double-weak to!

Bulbasaur isn't double weak to Scyther's attacks, it doesn't learn any Bug typed attacks. Bulbasaur, however, wouldn't be able to defeat Strike, seeing as how the only non-Grass move it learns is Tackle. That, and it's a Bulbasaur.
Wow, other trainer's must suck a lot if they lose to something that weak and stupid...

Of which I mean Ash.

------------------
Pikachu is used by anime fan-boys who can't fight. Mewtwo is used by those who just can't fight.
http://come.to/realitysend

From: I dunno, somewhere | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
Dark Jaguar
Farting Nudist
Member # 187

Member Rated:
posted 04-20-2000 04:17 PM      Profile for Dark Jaguar   Email Dark Jaguar   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
That Pokéball scene (I think those were suppossed to be Master Balls, they always worked) reminded me of those horror movies with the "Tall Man", sorta, none of the balls killed anyone. Also, generally Japan makes products with much higher standards than America, they just have stronger work ethic though I have NO idea why.

------------------

Magician Type 0
Farting Nudist
Member # 293

Member Rated:
posted 04-20-2000 07:39 PM      Profile for Magician Type 0     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The Pokemon movie did NOT suck, dammit! It was exciting! It was surprisingly poingent (sp?), especially for a cartoon.

------------------
"Dance, Dance, Dance" --Casey "Magician Type 0" Morris (me), the man who trained with the help of Caos2.

quote:
From the Simpsons:
Homer: My ears are burning
Marge: Oh, Homer!
Homer: No, they're really burning! I wanted to see inside so I lit a Q-tip.
Marge: *Moans*

Email: webmaster@casog.zzn.com

AIM: Casog MT0
ICQ Nick: Mågìçìañ Tÿpé 0®
Number: 45597626
http://www.gamefaqs.com/features/recognition/4615.html

I'm not insane. I just hear voices. And the aliens are stealing my thoughts.

- Lone Horse of the DTOA (Double Teamers of America)

Jackdaw
Farting Nudist
Member # 118

Member Rated:
posted 04-20-2000 08:42 PM      Profile for Jackdaw   Author's Homepage   Email Jackdaw   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 

... you gotta be kidding me.

------------------
"I must go to the store to buy butter and cheese." -Zorak

PokeMaster Tony
Orangutan Spouse
Member # 304

Rate Member
posted 04-22-2000 01:37 PM      Profile for PokeMaster Tony   Email PokeMaster Tony   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Man, I would have to break out the person sitting next to me's toes just to count all the mistakes made in that movie. Just to name a few:

1.) Meowth called Sandslash, Sandshrew.
2.) Two actual animation flaws made by Japanese animators:
a.) When that kid in the red shirt first flew off on his Pidgeot, and after the harbor manager made her speach about them being Pokemon Masters, the scene changed and the boy in the red shirt at the top right corner of the screen is seen riding a Fearow!
b.) In the begining of Pikachu's Vacation, Psyduck can clearly be seen stepping over Pikachu's back, but when the camera moved to focus on Togepi, Psyduck was there with them.
3.) In the beginning of Mewtwo Strikes Back, when Ash fights that Pirate looking dude, his Machamp surfaces from the pokeball twice. They go from foot to head, and then cut back down to foot and go back to head.

That's all I can think of right now, but overall, I was pretty pleased with the movie. Not as much as I would have liked to have been, but the movie was alright. The second movie promises to be incredible, even though Tracy will be in it instead of Brock.

------------------
Training Pokemon Since Late 1998. :)

Rolken
Vulcan
Member # 7

Member Rated:
posted 04-22-2000 05:50 PM      Profile for Rolken   Author's Homepage   Email Rolken   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mr. K:
As I always say, capitalism encourages mediocrity.

I thought communism encouraged mediocrity.

Besides, it's not capitalism itself; it's success brought about by the exploitation of capitalism that encourages mediocrity. Along with trademarks and monopolies.

------------------
(the only) Official Member of the Release Your Legendary Pokémon Club

Mr. K
Racist
Member # 2

Member Rated:
posted 04-24-2000 01:14 AM      Profile for Mr. K   Author's Homepage   Email Mr. K   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The encouragment of mediocrity is an inherent quality of capitalism.

What's the goal? To maximize profits.

It's not to maximize quality.

You don't make the most money by making a superlative product, you make the most money by making a product just a little better and/or just a little cheaper than the competition. Or one with better hype.

There's no point in making something of superlative quality, since you can make a lot more money by making something krappier, and the masses don't demand superlative quality.

If they sat on the movie until everything was just perfect, they'd lose money and only psycho fans and the makers of the movie would care.

------------------
KOFFING!

Meowth346
Farting Nudist
Member # 166

posted 04-24-2000 02:54 AM      Profile for Meowth346   Author's Homepage        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I never really come to this board (hey, i'm a vegatarian ^_^) but I wanted to point out a couple of things from some of the early posts on this thread. Please pardon me if someone else pointed these out, and I just missed them reading through all of the posts.

1) Mew's Japanese voice was in fact carried over to the English version. So was Dragonites, for anyone wondering.

2) In revelation Lugia, when Ash jumps off of the cliff after Pikachu, and Tracey prevents Misty from following...that scene was cut from the movie. It didn't make it to the final version, with a couple of other scenes (I think one of Ash's mother from one of the Japanese trailers didn't make it either, and I'm sure that there was at least *one* more cut scene).

--Meowth346

------------------
PokéResearcher in charge of Pokémon Forever
found via http://anime.at/pokefor

[This message has been edited by Meowth346 (edited 04-24-2000).]

Jackdaw
Farting Nudist
Member # 118

Member Rated:
posted 04-24-2000 05:33 PM      Profile for Jackdaw   Author's Homepage   Email Jackdaw   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Sorry, but mew's voice changed from Japan to US. In the states, it sounds like a 3 yr old child or something, while in Japan, its this soft kawaii sound that can barely be heard.

------------------
"I must go to the store to buy butter and cheese." -Zorak

White Cat
Member # 42

Member Rated:
posted 04-25-2000 06:44 AM      Profile for White Cat   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Bulbasaur isn't double weak to Scyther's attacks, it doesn't learn any Bug typed attacks.

No, I said that Bulbasaur's (Grass) attacks are doubly-weak to Beedrill and Scyther (i.e. they will do 1/4 damage). I didn't mean that both opponents' attack would do quad-damage to Bulbasaur (although Beedrill's will).

Meowth, do you mean that the jumping-off-cliff scene was in the Japanese version but cut from the English version, or that it was in the Japanese trailers but not in any release of the movie?

If the former, why would they do that? The exact same thing happened in the first movie (except it was a big circular ramp, not a cliff). And how do you know this, since the English version is still three months from release?

Meowth346
Farting Nudist
Member # 166

posted 04-25-2000 03:34 PM      Profile for Meowth346   Author's Homepage        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by White Cat:
Meowth, do you mean that the jumping-off-cliff scene was in the Japanese version but cut from the English version, or that it was in the Japanese trailers but not in any release of the movie?

Everyone keeping in mind that someone mentioned that this happened in Revelation Lugia:

In Rev. Lugia's trailers, there was a sceen where Satoshi(Ash) jumps off of a cliff, shouting "Pikachuuuu!" Kasumi(Misty) cries out "Satoshi!"* moving forward, and Kenji(Tracey) grabs her shoulder, saying "Kasumi!"

This was on a movie trailer that I have on video.

Now, the movie came out in theatres, (I have a poorly bootlegged copy, and recently got an official copy), and that whole scene described above was kept out of the Japanese version of the movie. There were a bit more...I don't remember if Team Rocket being thrown into the air when Lugia burst out from the iced over ocean below then was kept in or not.

*Kasumi may not have said, "Satoshi!", I'd have to check on that.

--Meowth346

------------------

Meowth346
Farting Nudist
Member # 166

posted 04-25-2000 03:35 PM      Profile for Meowth346   Author's Homepage        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jackdaw:
Sorry, but mew's voice changed from Japan to US. In the states, it sounds like a 3 yr old child or something, while in Japan, its this soft kawaii sound that can barely be heard.

Well, then it's a similar voice to Japanese, as I hear them back to back and they sound the same to me. Maybe I'll check the Japanese credit's for Mew's VA's name.

--Meowth346

------------------

All times are ET (US)
This topic is comprised of pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Azure Heights Pokémon Laboratory

© 2000-2019, Maximum Penetration Industries.

Karpe Diem

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author(s). The contents and links have not been reviewed or approved by the University of Miami.