The Azure Heights Forum

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Azure Heights Forum   » Main Campus   » Research Lab   » RBY questions and discussion

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: RBY questions and discussion
Nautilator
Farting Nudist
Member # 3701

Member Rated:
posted 08-08-2004 10:17 PM      Profile for Nautilator     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
1. Can Metronome call itself or Struggle? I have seen posts which say it can call itself, but I am wondering because I have seen Metronome call literally every move other than itself and Struggle (and have not seen any mention of it having called Struggle).

2. What amount of damage do OHKOs do? Is it it infinite (as opposed to equal to the opponent's current HP)? If not, why is it possible to counter an OHKO from behind a substitute for infinite damage?

3. Does Blizzard ever have a 30% freeze rate, and if so, under what conditions?

4. What causes moves like Growl, Roar, and Teleport to fail in-game? (It looks like there is a 20% or 25% failure rate for such moves if the opponent is faster than the user, but I don't know all moves that this applies to or why.)

5. In the gameboy, Substitute does not prevent primary paralysis (like from Glare or Thunder Wave) yet prevents secondary paralysis (like from Body Slam or Lick). If things like secondary sleep, primary burn, and primary freeze existed, would Substitute block them?

6. Each pokémon seemingly has a single, fundamental color used at varying intensities that determines its sprite shading, substitute color, caught pokéball color, transformed graphic shading, etc. Is this true, and if so, where could I get a list of such colors?

7. Does the 99.6 rule apply to all moves, all moves that target the opponent, or all damaging moves that target the opponent? Does the 99.6 rule apply to all side effects as well, and if so would it mean moves like Growl would actually have 99.2% accuracy?

8. It looks like for the most part, type effectiveness messages in the gameboy games are based solely on a pokémon's first type. However, they are not in all cases (such as Mega Drain being "not very effective" against Aerodactyl and Leech Life being "super effective" against Gengar). So what determines which type effectiveness message is displayed?

9. Using Double Team while the opponent is using Rage apparently makes the double teams not reset even if you switch pokémon. What exactly is the interaction between Double Team and Rage?

10. If Struggle was a normally obtainable move, would it have 10-16 PP?

11. Given all of the (similar) glitches between them, what exactly does the game do to calculated damage from Bide and Counter? Also, if a non-normal, non-fighting, recoil move existed, would it ever be possible to counter the recoil damage?

12. If Counter does not manage to counter anything, does it actually miss, or just fail? Bide counts the last amount of damage done if a move that does not actually miss is used (like if something used Seismic Toss and then Counter, it'll count the turn for Counter as if Seismic Toss had been used), and it looks like such accumulation is only reset by moves that miss, not fail. If it actually misses, then why does it not reset Bide accumulation? If it just fails, then why does the game claim that it misses?

13. What are the color boundaries for the health meter? I got my answers (orange: int(265*int(0.2*MaxHP + 0.2)/256 + 2) or more; green: int(2.25int(MaxHP/4) + 0.75) or more) by guess and test, and I think the red/orange boundary line is off by a point in a couple of places.

Thanks in advance for any help.

[ 10-27-2004, 08:48 PM: Message edited by: Nautilator ]

- - - - -
RBY stuff - last updated March 12.

Mr. K
Racist
Member # 2

Member Rated:
posted 08-24-2004 08:02 AM      Profile for Mr. K   Author's Homepage   Email Mr. K   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I think you blew their minds.
From: Cinnabar Island | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Nautilator
Farting Nudist
Member # 3701

Member Rated:
posted 09-28-2004 10:24 AM      Profile for Nautilator     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Updated my list a little, just in case. I'm making a RBY faq and would like to include this information in it, any suggestions on where I could try to find the answers? (I don't know anything about rom reading or hacking.)

- - - - -

Dredite
Farting Nudist
Member # 33

Member Rated:
posted 09-30-2004 01:04 PM      Profile for Dredite   Email Dredite   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
1. Metronome cannot call itself or struggle from what I've seen. Struggle isn't actually considered a move in RBY in that sense. I don't believe you can mimic it, either.

2. OHKO moves also don't do damage in the traditional sense. They will reduce current HP by the amount required to faint the pokemon, or destroy a substitute if there is one. (If I remember right, I always remember counter failing on OHKO moves).

3. Not sure, but my guess is "under no conditions."

4. Again, unsure. I don't believe speed actually has anything to do with it though.

5. Substitute in game would likely only prevent the secondard ones. (I believe it didn't prevent primary sleep... gotta go refresh myself on that).

6. No idea, color hacking and the GBC/SuperGameBoy is not my thing. [Frown]

7. It applies to all moves that target the opponent. Not certain about the growl, but probably.

8. The weird, weird pokemon dieties determine what message to put up there.

9. Huh, I hadn't noticed that. It'd require a simple test to see if the double teams work once rage stops. If so, then rage probably determines the accuracy it has to attack only on the first usage of the attack, and from then on does the attack roll based on that, rather than the actual evasion of the pokemon being attacked. And if that's true, rage early. [Wink] Now you're going to make me get out my old carts!

10. It'd probably have PP equal to that of tackle. IF it were a real move. =P It doesn't have any options for that however.

11-13: No idea, really. I never used Bide or Counter on a regular basis, and the color thing is not my area.

[ 09-30-2004, 01:06 PM: Message edited by: Dredite ]

- - - - -
Dreadite
--
Tired of your logical fallacies, because you're an idiot.

From: Santa Cruz, CA | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Uiru
Sketch Molester
Member # 437

Member Rated:
posted 10-02-2004 10:51 AM      Profile for Uiru   Author's Homepage   Email Uiru   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Once Rage misses, it will never hit again.
~Uiru

- - - - -
TIDUDSOFIEIHUGHEXXXC: "maybe he will let you touch his blow up do"

AFRO NOOOOOOO!!!

From: the floating castle of Newfoundland | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged
Nautilator
Farting Nudist
Member # 3701

Member Rated:
posted 10-02-2004 01:35 PM      Profile for Nautilator     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Uiru- Once Rage misses, it will never hit again.
It looks like that's not quite right -- out of 910 tries, it hit 4 times. Maybe taking multiple turns but just 1 PP eventually makes the game mess up the accuracy check, and instead of 99.6% accuracy it ends up having 0.4% accuracy.

Dredite- Not sure, but my guess is "under no conditions."
According to this old post, it's 10% "when RAM address D418 = 0" and otherwise 30%, but it doesn't mean much to me.

Also, I think Struggle is potentially a normally obtainable move, "only" no pokemon learns by level. After using a RBY save game editor for a while, it looks like the game keeps track of a pokemon's curent PP, number of PP ups, and the moves it has, and the move's max PP is somehow tied to what the move is. When I give a pokemon Struggle, it works as usual, it can be mimiced, and it has 10 base PP.

- - - - -

Dredite
Farting Nudist
Member # 33

Member Rated:
posted 10-02-2004 02:49 PM      Profile for Dredite   Email Dredite   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Hmmm. I'd guess that the 30% freeze condition can't occur normally though, just from observation.

Interesting. If when it's gamesharked that's the PP it has, then that's the PP it would have if you could obtain it. However, struggle that's being used by a struggling pokemon definitely can't be copied. [Frown] Even by mirror move (it fails).

- - - - -
Dreadite
--

Cesar
Farting Nudist
Member # 529

Member Rated:
posted 10-09-2004 04:33 AM      Profile for Cesar   Email Cesar   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Wow, this is an interesting post. K is going to have a picnic putting these down under "ongoing research" (if he were to ever update again). I can't even answer one of the questions. May you post you FAQ?

Do these rules differ in GSC/RSE/FRLG? Can you metronome more then once?

quote:
2. What amount of damage do OHKOs do? Is it it infinite (as opposed to equal to the opponent's current HP)? If not, why is it possible to counter an OHKO from behind a substitute for infinite damage?
Well, I guess if the pokemon used horn drill for even max hit points (let us say 300 for sake of example) of the opponent and it was countered, then it would be doubled the max hit points so 600 hit points. This would kill anyone. If this were true, then what if say a level 100 nidoking missed horn drill against a level 20 pokemon and the level 20 pokemon used counter, maybe it will say "It is a OHKO" but really only do double the level 20 pokemon's hp.

Naw, I'm talking nonsense. But I need to know!!!

quote:
7. Does the 99.6 rule apply to all moves, all moves that target the opponent, or all damaging moves that target the opponent? Does the 99.6 rule apply to all side effects as well, and if so would it mean moves like Growl would actually have 99.2% accuracy?
I think I can answer this! The 100% rule applies to any move that can boost your own stats. 99.6 applies to all moves that target the opponent. Don't quote me on this. This is the best to my knowledge which isn't always good!
From: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
Nautilator
Farting Nudist
Member # 3701

Member Rated:
posted 10-11-2004 10:17 AM      Profile for Nautilator     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Cesar- Well, I guess if the pokemon used horn drill for even max hit points (let us say 300 for sake of example) of the opponent and it was countered, then it would be doubled the max hit points so 600 hit points. This would kill anyone. If this were true, then what if say a level 100 nidoking missed horn drill against a level 20 pokemon and the level 20 pokemon used counter, maybe it will say "It is a OHKO" but really only do double the level 20 pokemon's hp.
I think they changed the way OHKOs did damage, and what you describe is GSC behavior, not RBY. I had a Lapras with 9,000 (max) HP horn drill a Lapras with 4 (max HP) and a sub using counter, and on the turn Horn Drill broke the sub, counter KO'd the 9,000 HP Lapras.

Also, after doing some testing, I think the 99.6 rule only applies to moves that are affected by accuracy and evasion modifiers -- out of 960 tries, Swift, Haze, Transform, and Conversion NEVER missed (though unlike the other 3, Conversion will fail if the opponent is in the middle of Dig). I still don't know if it applies to side effects though.

When I finish my FAQ I'll post a link to it. I've got a few more questions (that are more readily testable and relevant to link battle) that I'll ask for answers by tomorrow, and I'll post the new(?) things I've discovered as well.

- - - - -

Dredite
Farting Nudist
Member # 33

Member Rated:
posted 10-11-2004 12:37 PM      Profile for Dredite   Email Dredite   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Wonderful, I'm looking forward to it.

You've made me start playing RBYseriously again. [Wink]

- - - - -
Dreadite
--

Lark84
My skeleton is made of creamy nougat.
Member # 1186

Member Rated:
posted 10-11-2004 02:49 PM      Profile for Lark84     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Yeah, this was cool.

Made me wonder if there is someplace on the web where Pokémon research is conducted right now as furiously as it once was at Azure Heights.

Ah, the good 'ol days... But things just don't last forever.

Dredite
Farting Nudist
Member # 33

Member Rated:
posted 10-11-2004 07:15 PM      Profile for Dredite   Email Dredite   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I believe that's mostly due to rom hacking overtaking standard research as a method to obtain game data. There's just not as much demand for us as there used to be.

- - - - -
Dreadite
--

Rolken
Vulcan
Member # 7

Member Rated:
posted 10-12-2004 02:32 AM      Profile for Rolken   Author's Homepage   Email Rolken   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Yeah, somewhere along the line the online game research community seems to have collectively realized that probing the actual code is more efficient and decisive (and less monotonous) than running the same tests thousands of times.

- - - - -
[insert sig here]

Nautilator
Farting Nudist
Member # 3701

Member Rated:
posted 10-12-2004 06:09 PM      Profile for Nautilator     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Some more misc questions:
  1. A lot of older posts have mentioned that side effect rates were increased in Stadium. Trying rental pokemon against the cpu, it seems like it is in fact true (tried it for Acid and Bubblebeam, and it looks like Acid= 20%, Bubblebeam= 30%). Has anyone done any formal testing for this? Is this true just against the cpu or against player battles as well? (Someone please check this for Constrict if nothing else as none of the rental pokemon have it).
  2. Due to the Psywave and Substitute checks (see below), along with the infamous 99.6 rule, I'm wondering if in general the programmers use "less than" instead of "less than or equal to" for most/all of their inequalities. Can someone check in Stadium if Psywave's damage is less-than or less-than-or-equal-to 1.5 times the user's level (rounded down)?
  3. If Reflect halves the opponent's level, why is there rollover when (and only when) a pokemon uses Reflect and defense increasers?
These were some things I noticed, but since none of my testing was done on any of the actual cartridges and these seem strange, I would like confirmation of these happening on an actual cartridge:
  1. When a pokemon uses Acid Armor, its sprite disappears and doesn't become visible again until it switches out or makes a substitute.
  2. Have a pokemon with Hyper Beam NOT in its first move slot use Hyper Beam and have it frozen before it can recharge. Afterwards, have a pokemon faster than the frozen one use a fire attack against it. Does the now-defrosted pokemon use the first move in its slot or Hyper Beam again?
  3. Have a frozen pokemon that has not recharged get defrosted by Haze. Although it won't be frozen any more, it'll be as if nothing has changed -- it still won't be able to attack or switch, and from then on, nothing at all (other than it fainting or the battle ending) will be able to change this.
Also, these are most of the things that I believe are either not known or very little-known. Feel free to verify them.
  • Although bug attacks are claimed to be "super effective" against Gengar, damage calculation numbers show that bug attacks are actually not very effective against ghost types even in RBY.
  • It was mentioned before that if a low level pokemon uses a move against a high level opponent that is 4x resistant to the move, said move will miss. But there is more to it -- all damaging moves that end up doing 0 damage will miss, including due to type immunities, and draining moves against a substitute in Stadium. I'm not sure if Bide and Counter truly miss if they unleash 0 damage, because of some interactions they have with Bide.
  • Self-inflicted confusion damage is actually normal-type damage. The reason ghosts can hurt themselves and so forth is because (as seen in the formula given at AH) type is not considered when damage done from it is calculated. The reason I figure it is normal type damage then is because it can be countered -- if a Tauros hurts itself in its confusion and a Snorlax right afterwards uses Counter, Counter will counter it (it could of course be fighting damage, but in all likelihood, it's normal).
  • If an opponent switches out while it is being damaged by a partial trapping move, and the partial trapping move has 0 PP at this time, it will still automatically be used against the incoming opponent. Afterwards, its PP will become 63, and full PP ups will become applied to it (NOTE: this was discovered by MasamuneXGP).
  • Use of a partial trapping move by an opponent will negate the recharge turn of Hyper Beam -- even if that partial trapping move misses. Suppose a Tentacruel is switched in to a Chansey using Hyper Beam, and it uses Wrap but misses. In such a situation, Hyper Beam will automatically be used again (after all, it was selected as the move to be performed that turn...). And if at such a time, Hyper Beam has 0 PP, the same type of PP rollover as the above will occur.
  • If a pokemon is put to sleep during the same round that it uses (or attempts to use) Counter or Quick Attack (or "any" altered priority move I imagine), the altered priority of that move will continue being applied to the pokemon until the turn after it wakes up (but switching will reset this).
  • Multi turn moves of the Dig, Skull Bash, Sky Attack variety do not alter the last move used flag during their first turn of execution. If a Pidgeot uses Mirror Move against a Gengar that has just lowered its head, Mirror Move will copy the move the Gengar used before starting its use of Skull Bash (or fail if no move was previously made). This was fixed in Stadium. Also, Hyper Beam will reset the last move used flag, but only after it has fully executed.
  • Sleep, freeze, partial trapping, and flinching will pause but not disrupt ANY multi turn moves including Bide and Petal Dance (but not Hyper Beam, if that counts as one).
  • Haze removes Focus Energy from both pokemon in play, and in Stadium also removes any stat ailments that the user has.
  • Unlike GSC, there are no restrictions at all on what moves Mimic can potentially copy.
  • Mist only prevents primary stat modifications from happening -- it won't save you from things like the possibility of having your def lowered by Acid or special being lowered by Psychic.
  • Even if Petal Dance misses on the turn it is first used, the user must remain out for 3-4 turns for it to finish.
  • The maximum amount of damage that Psywave does is less than -- not less than or equal -- 1.5 times user's level (rounded down). But the minimum it does is greater than 0, so don't try letting a level 1 pokemon use this attack!
  • Recover failing if the difference between the user's current and max HP is 255 or 511 was fixed in Stadium.
  • A substitute has 1 HP more than the amount of HP lost by the user when creating it (too bad for Shedinja, this was changed in/by Advance). If a pokemon has exactly 25% (rounded down) of its max HP and uses Substitute, it will successfully create a substitute, but then faint as it will have 0 HP. A substitute will absorb self-inflicted confusion damage. A substitute will not save the user from Leech Seed in the gameboy, but will in Stadium (guess it's a draining move). In general, if a move has a secondary effect, it will not activate if it breaks a substitute -- it's well-known that Hyper Beam will not require a recharge and an Explosion user will not faint on breaking a substitute, but furthermore, recoil moves will deal no recoil and draining moves (gameboy) will restore no HP if they break a substitute. In general (but not for poison), a substitute will save you from secondary stat ailments, but not primary ones, however a substitute will save you from primary confusion but not secondary confusion. Go figure.
  • In Stadium, if the opponent's current species is Ditto, Transform will fail. Note that it's current species -- if the opponent is a Ditto that has transformed into a Fearow (or whatever), using transform will result in the user becoming a Fearow.
I don't have the heart to try and fully explain Bide or Counter, so you can read about them in my FAQ soon.

[ 03-02-2005, 10:11 AM: Message edited by: Nautilator ]

- - - - -

White Cat
Nobody knows why I'm an admin.
Member # 42

Member Rated:
posted 10-13-2004 12:30 AM      Profile for White Cat   Author's Homepage   Email White Cat      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Although bug attacks are claimed to be "super effective" against Gengar, damage calculation numbers show that bug attacks are actually not very effective against ghost types even in RBY.

The "super effective" and "not very effective" messages don't account for dual-types where one type is weak to the attack and one type resists it. In this case, Bug attacks are weak against Ghost types and strong against Poison.

- - - - -
"Anybody gone into Whole Foods lately and see what they charge for arugula?"
-- Barack Obama, campaigning in Iowa

Wintermute
My custom title sucks.
Member # 5

Member Rated:
posted 10-26-2004 12:28 AM      Profile for Wintermute   Author's Homepage   Email Wintermute   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Rolken: Yeah, somewhere along the line the online game research community seems to have collectively realized that probing the actual code is more efficient and decisive (and less monotonous) than running the same tests thousands of times.

We had this discussion four and a half years ago.

RAM-hacking is more efficient for many problems, but not all. Its decisiveness depends primarily on the carefulness of the investigator, just as it does for old school Oak-style research. The best research results will be produced when the two methodologies complement each other.

And I'll still observe that old school research is a celebration of the greatest videogame of all time. Somehow this thing exploded out of its cartridges and transformed our lives. We participate in that most fully when we honour the game metaphor. It was that way for me, anyway.

RAM-hacking is powerful and shouldn't be ignored, but there's not as much romance in it.

I wish you'd been around 5 years ago Nautilator.

From: Winnipeg, Manitoba | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Lark84
My skeleton is made of creamy nougat.
Member # 1186

Member Rated:
posted 10-26-2004 12:55 PM      Profile for Lark84     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
(this post is kinda off-topic)

quote:
Originally posted by Wintermute:
And I'll still observe that old school research is a celebration of the greatest videogame of all time. Somehow this thing exploded out of its cartridges and transformed our lives. We participate in that most fully when we honour the game metaphor. It was that way for me, anyway.

Amen. I felt like that when I hung out here.

Or, to be more precise (and to put it more in proportion with my actual amount of "research" done), I felt like the kid who was the assistant to all these super smart Pokémon professors, who got to hang around and ask questions, marvel and learn for free.

The way in which the structure of the Azure Heights site can be mentally transposed into the Azure Heights, Pokémon Laboratory building - majestic, located off the beaten path, or perhaps in the middle of Saffron City, with lecture halls, labs, people running around, discoveries being made, trainers entering and leaving, Pokémon being examined etc. - is just amazing.

Whenever I was here, I felt like I was part of the game, making my own adventure. No other videogame fan site has done that for me. And I did have fun.

Fantastic job.

(Gaah, writing this, I realised that a part of me just don't want to let go of the fantasy of living in the Pokémon world.. I guess I'll get a heavy nostalgia kick when I start up the old Pokémon Red as a 60-year old...)

Cesar
Farting Nudist
Member # 529

Member Rated:
posted 10-27-2004 02:37 AM      Profile for Cesar   Email Cesar   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Off topic as well, although I wouldn't mind feedback to know if I got the right idea.

Basically, I'm trying to figure out how the game groups the moves when attacks are made. That is, Accuracy, Damage, Immunity, and effectiveness. Because some moves skip Evade/accuracy mods but are effected my accuracy (Bide, transform). Other moves success/failure depends on whether the opponent is immune (Seismic Toss, Poison Gas, thunderwave). Only a message of immunity shows up, and not a message on the type of the opponent (for example, A magneton using sonicboom on gastly would recieve a immunity message. But sonicboom against a rock type will recieve no message despite rocks being resistant to normal attacks).

So I have broken down most moves to having one of these 5 properties. Although I know there is more.
  • Self stat-boosting moves always have 100% accuracy. No effectiveness message is shown.
  • moves that hit regardless of type but are effected by evade/accuracy modifiers
  • moves that are only effected if the opponent is immune to the move. Effected by evade/accuracy modifiers.
  • moves that are only effected if the opponent is immune to the move. Uneffected by evade/accuracy modifiers.
  • moves that are affected by types and evade/accuracy modifiers
What I want to know now is, is there any more. Can you think of moves that do not follow any of these 5 properties. (I'm actually going quite insane with this, because there are moves that fit in but then again do not. So a new property has to be created.) If anyone knows of a better way (or how the Rom groups these moves), please tell. I acctually thought this information was indicated by the the base damage (if it was either 0 or 1 as meowth has it), but I guess not.
From: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
Nautilator
Farting Nudist
Member # 3701

Member Rated:
posted 10-28-2004 08:53 AM      Profile for Nautilator     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Wintermute- Its decisiveness depends primarily on the carefulness of the investigator, just as it does for old school Oak-style research.
For example, a confused Lv100 pokemon with 900 attack and 50 defense supposedly does 606 damage to itself, yet the actual value is 632 (and this is not the only time there is a discrepancy).

I wish you'd been around 5 years ago Nautilator.
[Frown] that's depressing. I was going to ask you to come out of retirement for a while but I am kind of feeling the same.

Cesar- Seismic Toss, A Magneton using sonicboom on gastly would recieve a immunity message
No, wrong game. Neither of these takes type into account at all.

Also, I think it'd be simpler to note differences in game behavior that account for these move discrepancies.

Some moves cannot be made to miss under any circumstances, including the 99.6 rule (Transform, Bide, Swift). Well, Bide and Swift will miss if they don't do any damage but that's kind of different. I'm guessing it's because there simply is no accuracy or evasion check at all, the move is just executed (bypassing the 99.6 thing altogether). So the possibilities are: always works, always works except if the opponent can prevent it (Conversion vs Dig is about the only thing I can think of here), and subject to acc/eva.

On a similar note, I think something similar is true for things like the attack reduction due to Growl -- if it hits, it is guaranteed to happen, so is 100% likely -- and not accounting for this may be why moves like Thunder Wave will still hit past a substitute in the gameboy, though it was accounted for poison so I'm not sure.

There's also the "I'll miss (or do the equivolent of as apparently seen with the Bide thing) if I can't do anything else" behavior. It's not only true for type effectivenesses, but for stat ailment inducers too. Only applies under certain circumstances but may be worth noting here.

For that type immunity thing, an old post that Necrosaro made stated that there's more than 1 definition of certain types in the rom, so I guess there is a normal type that does 1x damage to everything, which is what moves like Growl and Transform are. So of course their effectiveness would never change. So the possibilities are: takes type into account and doesn't take type into account at all. I don't think moves that consider type only for immunity exist.

And for the interested my faq will be done by the end of the month.

- - - - -

Nautilator
Farting Nudist
Member # 3701

Member Rated:
posted 11-03-2004 12:20 AM      Profile for Nautilator     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Ok, a few days later than I thought.

http://roadcaesar.homestead.com/files/rby-stuff.zip

I'll send it to GameFAQs later today, any input is of course welcome.

- - - - -

Nautilator
Farting Nudist
Member # 3701

Member Rated:
posted 02-26-2005 12:41 PM      Profile for Nautilator     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Each pokémon seemingly has a single, fundamental color used at varying intensities that determines its sprite shading, substitute color, caught pokéball color, transformed graphic shading, etc. Is this true, and if so, where could I get a list of such colors?
There are two things that determine a pokemon sprite. One is the shape, the other are its palette colors. Each pokemon has 4 palette colors, two of which are black and white. The other two can be found just by using Photoshop or such. Transform only copies the shape of a pokemon.

It looks like for the most part, type effectiveness messages in the gameboy games are based solely on a pokémon's first type.
It's actually the second type.

For example, a confused Lv100 pokemon with 900 attack and 50 defense supposedly does 606 damage to itself, yet the actual value is 632 (and this is not the only time there is a discrepancy).
In the BDF and confusion-damage formulas, if either the attack or defense used is greater than 255, then both values will be halved, and then halved again (and truncated each time). This causes the rounding discrepancy. Maybe it's easier for the game to divide 1-byte numbers. This behavior is also present in GSC.

- - - - -

Pokegod
Farting Nudist
Member # 977

posted 03-01-2005 07:51 PM      Profile for Pokegod     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
If a pokemon is put to sleep during the same round that it uses (or attempts to use) Counter or Quick Attack (or "any" altered priority move I imagine), the altered priority of that move will continue being applied to the pokemon until the turn after it wakes up (not even switching resets this).
Hold on a second... are you saying that if I have a Flareon use Quick Attack on an Exeguttor, who retaliates with Sleep Powder, then I switch Flareon out for Parasect, that the Parasect will be able to go first with Spore for the rest of the battle?

[ 03-01-2005, 07:54 PM: Message edited by: Pokegod ]

- - - - -
Pokegod... yeah, that won't look dumb in 10 years

From: Saskatchewan, Canada | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
Nautilator
Farting Nudist
Member # 3701

Member Rated:
posted 03-02-2005 10:11 AM      Profile for Nautilator     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
No, the altered priority change applies only to the pokemon that used the altered priority move. And I checked to make sure, and I was wrong in that it actually does get reset if the pokemon switches.

- - - - -

All times are ET (US)  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Azure Heights Pokémon Laboratory

© 2000-2016, Maximum Penetration Industries.

Karpe Diem

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author(s). The contents and links have not been reviewed or approved by the University of Miami.