The Azure Heights Forum


Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Azure Heights Forum   » Main Campus   » Kabuto Archaeological Society   » Okay I know it's alomst 2011 but please RMT!!!

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Okay I know it's alomst 2011 but please RMT!!!
Eric Woo
Orangutan Spouse
Member # 4461

Member Rated:
posted 12-25-2010 07:46 AM      Profile for Eric Woo     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
So some of my friends resently decide to hold a small poekmon tourament with only RBY pokemons.

I thought I was good at pokemon until I started to "reserch" on pokemons these days and found out I suck at all. For the past few days, I have be very hardworking learning all the pokemon knowledges, and of course read though all the RMT articles here.

I finaly decide to build my team with these pokemons. I KNOW THEY ARE ALL STANDARDS, sorry but I am afraid to be creative.

Tauros LV.55
Blizard
Body Slam
Hyper Beam
Earthquake

Snorlax LV.55
Selfdestruct
Body Slam
Hyperbean
Earthquake

Chancey LV.55
Soft boiled
Thunderbolt
Thunderwave
Subsitute

Starmie LV.55
Blizzard
Recover
Phycic
Thunderwave

Alakazam LV.55
Blizzard
Recover
Phychic
Thunderwave

Exeggutor LV.55
Stunspore
Sleep powder
Phychis
Explosion

Okay so I know there will be lost of problems that come into your mind.

1. My Tauros and Snolax has almost same moves set
Starmie and Alakazam has totally he same moves.
but I couldn't think of anything to change.

2. My Exeggutor has double powders but our rules say that I can only put one pokemon into sleep. so sleeping powder can be only use one. should I keep it.
3. Fo Chansey, I don';y know if I should keep subsitute. I know how it works but I don't get the point of it. usually my opponent will just OHKO my subsitute, won't they? However many posts here suggest that move.

4. Only Chansey knows Thunderbolt so only it can face water pokemon, is that too risky?

5. no grass type move on Egg nor a water type on Starmie. Should I use surf or Megadrain?

6. which one should be my first pokemon? and what is my strallegy?

Special rules of our matches are:
no legendary pkmns
no DT/minimize
only one pkmn may be put into sleep
no OHKO move

I am actually looking to build a team that is "the Best"
so feel free to chanege my pokemons or even just give me a new list of pokemon and moves.

thank you

From: IN | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged
Fish
Farting Nudist
Member # 267

Member Rated:
posted 12-25-2010 08:54 AM      Profile for Fish     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
My favorite part of this post is that psychic is on three different sets and spelled differently each time.

- - - - -
Bullshit.

From: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
Fish
Farting Nudist
Member # 267

Member Rated:
posted 12-25-2010 09:06 AM      Profile for Fish     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
In all seriousness, Tauros and Snorlax are fine.

I would probably put Mega Drain over Stun Spore on Eggy because you already have TWave on three mons and Tauros/Snorlax both have Body Slam, so you are already overstocked on paralysis anyhow.

Alakazam can't learn Blizzard. His moveset is pretty limited, so that spot is usually flexible. You can use Reflect, Seismic Toss, Substitute, or even Counter there.

Chansey is better off with Ice Beam over Substitute for a myriad of reasons I don't feel like typing out.

Psychic is a bad move on Starmie and strangely enough in general in RBY. This is because seemingly half the competitive level Pokemon you will face are Psychic-types, which obviously resists its own damage type. The reason Alakazam and Eggy use is because they have few (Eggy) or no (Zam) other options to take advantage of their behemoth special stats. Starmie, with its diverse movepool, is much better off trying to exploit type advantages. You mentioned wanting to add another Thunderbolt somewhere, so put it over Phycic...er, Psychic, there. That way you aren't totally screwed against other Starmie or Slowbro, and you have another super effective move to fend off the lesser-used waters like Lapras, Vaporeon, Cloyster, and especially Gyarados.

- - - - -
Bullshit.

From: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
Eric Woo
Orangutan Spouse
Member # 4461

Member Rated:
posted 12-26-2010 01:04 AM      Profile for Eric Woo     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Fish:
In all seriousness, Tauros and Snorlax are fine.

I would probably put Mega Drain over Stun Spore on Eggy because you already have TWave on three mons and Tauros/Snorlax both have Body Slam, so you are already overstocked on paralysis anyhow.

Alakazam can't learn Blizzard. His moveset is pretty limited, so that spot is usually flexible. You can use Reflect, Seismic Toss, Substitute, or even Counter there.

Chansey is better off with Ice Beam over Substitute for a myriad of reasons I don't feel like typing out.

Psychic is a bad move on Starmie and strangely enough in general in RBY. This is because seemingly half the competitive level Pokemon you will face are Psychic-types, which obviously resists its own damage type. The reason Alakazam and Eggy use is because they have few (Eggy) or no (Zam) other options to take advantage of their behemoth special stats. Starmie, with its diverse movepool, is much better off trying to exploit type advantages. You mentioned wanting to add another Thunderbolt somewhere, so put it over Phycic...er, Psychic, there. That way you aren't totally screwed against other Starmie or Slowbro, and you have another super effective move to fend off the lesser-used waters like Lapras, Vaporeon, Cloyster, and especially Gyarados.

Thank you
I will go ahead and change my Starmie and Alakazam.
So the new 6 pokemon will be:
Tauros LV.55
Blizard
Body Slam
Hyper Beam
Earthquake

Snorlax LV.55
Selfdestruct
Body Slam
Hyperbean
Earthquake

Chancey LV.55
Soft boiled
Thunderbolt
Thunderwave
Subsitute

Starmie LV.55
Blizzard
Recover
Thunderbolt
Thunderwave

Alakazam LV.55
Barrier(breeding from 2nd gen.)
Recover
Psychic
Thunderwave

Exeggutor LV.55
Megadrain
Sleep powder
Psychic
Explosion

More to change?

and sorry I am not a native speaker, I make grammar and spelling mistakes

From: IN | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged
Fish
Farting Nudist
Member # 267

Member Rated:
posted 12-26-2010 01:35 AM      Profile for Fish     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I still think you need to change the Chansey. It really needs Ice Beam over Substitute. One such reason Golem/Rhydon. If your opponent has one of these and they figure out your Chansey's set, they are free to switch and do some damage every time Chansey enters the arena. It also gives it a chance against common grass types who resist electric. The ability to freeze is also a boon, especially in the inevitable Chansey vs. Chansey wars. Substitute is more a quick shield for hit-and-run offensive mons like Rhydon or Alakazam who switch in on type advantages and quickly get out, not a tank like Chansey.

If you're going to use Barrier on Alakazam, that opens a whole lot of other doors. Most people who play RBY do not allow 2nd gen moves. If you do, that changes some options on your team, notably with Alakazam. I mentioned he can't take advantage of his monster special attack other than Psychic in my previous post, but with trade-backs you can get Fire, Ice, and Thunderpunch to give him some type coverage. If 2nd gen moves are allowed, I would use one of those moves over Barrier. You might want to clarify whether they are allowed, though.

- - - - -
Bullshit.

From: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
Eric Woo
Orangutan Spouse
Member # 4461

Member Rated:
posted 12-26-2010 11:49 AM      Profile for Eric Woo     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Fish:
I still think you need to change the Chansey. It really needs Ice Beam over Substitute. One such reason Golem/Rhydon. If your opponent has one of these and they figure out your Chansey's set, they are free to switch and do some damage every time Chansey enters the arena. It also gives it a chance against common grass types who resist electric. The ability to freeze is also a boon, especially in the inevitable Chansey vs. Chansey wars. Substitute is more a quick shield for hit-and-run offensive mons like Rhydon or Alakazam who switch in on type advantages and quickly get out, not a tank like Chansey.

If you're going to use Barrier on Alakazam, that opens a whole lot of other doors. Most people who play RBY do not allow 2nd gen moves. If you do, that changes some options on your team, notably with Alakazam. I mentioned he can't take advantage of his monster special attack other than Psychic in my previous post, but with trade-backs you can get Fire, Ice, and Thunderpunch to give him some type coverage. If 2nd gen moves are allowed, I would use one of those moves over Barrier. You might want to clarify whether they are allowed, though.

Yeah, very useful advise.
but some questions, why not Blizard but Ice Beam?

Yeah I confirmed it with my friends that pokemons can learn moves in 2nd gen. as long as they are 1st gen. moves. So which one should i use? Fire, Ice, and Thunderpunch?
Why isn't barrier a great move?. when I raise my defense by 2 stages(make it 2 times), it means that it takes double amount of hits to kill my Alakazam,isn't it always a great advantage?

thank you

Tauros LV.55
Blizard
Body Slam
Hyper Beam
Earthquake

Snorlax LV.55
Selfdestruct
Body Slam
Hyperbean
Earthquake

Chansey LV.55
Soft boiled
Thunderbolt
Thunderwave
Blizzard/Ice Beam

Starmie LV.55
Blizzard
Recover
Thunderbolt
Thunderwave

Alakazam LV.55
Barrier/punches
Recover
Psychic
Thunderwave

Exeggutor LV.55
Megadrain
Sleep powder
Psychic
Explosion

From: IN | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged
Face
I invented cancer.
Member # 1916

Member Rated:
posted 12-26-2010 12:48 PM      Profile for Face   Author's Homepage   Email Face   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Go with what Fish said.

Other than that, your team is a team of standards and you should get all of your guys to level 100 if you want to have any chance of taking down other teams in a second, or to at least have a fighting chance against teams that are higher in level than your own!

Good luck.

- - - - -
Weezing!

From: Hackensack, nj | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Eric Woo
Orangutan Spouse
Member # 4461

Member Rated:
posted 12-26-2010 03:05 PM      Profile for Eric Woo     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Face:
Go with what Fish said.

Other than that, your team is a team of standards and you should get all of your guys to level 100 if you want to have any chance of taking down other teams in a second, or to at least have a fighting chance against teams that are higher in level than your own!

Good luck.

well our tourament is for LV.55 pkmns!
Thanks anyway1

From: IN | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged
Face
I invented cancer.
Member # 1916

Member Rated:
posted 12-26-2010 08:09 PM      Profile for Face   Author's Homepage   Email Face   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Oh. Well, good luck in the tournament and may you do well in it! Also, you may want to consider putting Hyper Beam on another pokemon that has good attack power, as that move in RBY works wonders if you don't want a battle to last very long and plus when it was RBY, I remember Hyper beam doing excellent as it has the highest attack power out of any move! Good luck in getting the trainers here to give you better suggestions than even I can think of at this point in time. Your team seems good.

[ 12-27-2010, 02:00 PM: Message edited by: Face ]

- - - - -
Weezing!

From: Hackensack, nj | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Fish
Farting Nudist
Member # 267

Member Rated:
posted 12-27-2010 02:13 AM      Profile for Fish     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Ice Beam is better than Blizzard on Chansey because Chansey is a tank, not an attacker. Tauros uses Blizzard because he needs the power with his poor special attack, and the fact that PP is not a concern as he is going to use his STAB moves almost exclusively. Blizzard is almost filler for him in that regard. Starmie can go either way, but with his sub-100 base (300) special attack, that extra power that Blizzard gives can make or break you. Chansey is going to be sitting in there taking hits, while trying to widdle down opponents health. The PP is very important there, especially if it comes down to Chansey vs. Chansey looking for a freeze.

I don't know what to tell you on Alakazam, I have never played with tradebacks allowed. Barrier isn't a great idea because of the high crit rate in RBY. Yea, you could waste three turns bulking up your defense, but if Tauros is critting you once in every three attacks (or in the case of Slash Persian, every turn), it was all for nothing. That's why Reflect is good enough for that. You get a decent defensive investment in one move, but aren't put in a situation where you might put too much into it only for a critical hit to make your multiple boosts obsolete.

It comes down to Thunderpunch and Ice Punch, although I would almost say you should take both (if that's possible, I never learned a thing about breeding). You could try Psychic/Thunderpunch/Ice Punch/Recover. You could then add Stun Spore back onto Exeggutor over Mega Drain to make up for the lost paralysis, or just run with 2 Thunderwaves/2 Body Slams.

[ 12-27-2010, 02:14 AM: Message edited by: Fish ]

- - - - -
Bullshit.

From: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
Eric Woo
Orangutan Spouse
Member # 4461

Member Rated:
posted 12-27-2010 11:40 AM      Profile for Eric Woo     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Fish:
Ice Beam is better than Blizzard on Chansey because Chansey is a tank, not an attacker. Tauros uses Blizzard because he needs the power with his poor special attack, and the fact that PP is not a concern as he is going to use his STAB moves almost exclusively. Blizzard is almost filler for him in that regard. Starmie can go either way, but with his sub-100 base (300) special attack, that extra power that Blizzard gives can make or break you. Chansey is going to be sitting in there taking hits, while trying to widdle down opponents health. The PP is very important there, especially if it comes down to Chansey vs. Chansey looking for a freeze.

I don't know what to tell you on Alakazam, I have never played with tradebacks allowed. Barrier isn't a great idea because of the high crit rate in RBY. Yea, you could waste three turns bulking up your defense, but if Tauros is critting you once in every three attacks (or in the case of Slash Persian, every turn), it was all for nothing. That's why Reflect is good enough for that. You get a decent defensive investment in one move, but aren't put in a situation where you might put too much into it only for a critical hit to make your multiple boosts obsolete.

It comes down to Thunderpunch and Ice Punch, although I would almost say you should take both (if that's possible, I never learned a thing about breeding). You could try Psychic/Thunderpunch/Ice Punch/Recover. You could then add Stun Spore back onto Exeggutor over Mega Drain to make up for the lost paralysis, or just run with 2 Thunderwaves/2 Body Slams.

Make sence to me!
Yeah that's possible, actually Punches are all TMs which I can buy in the departmentstore. I don't know many pokemon experts, but definitely you are great. =)

Tauros LV.55
Blizard
Body Slam
Hyper Beam
Earthquake

Snorlax LV.55
Selfdestruct
Body Slam
Hyperbean
Earthquake

Chansey LV.55
Soft boiled
Thunderbolt
Thunderwave
Ice Beam

Starmie LV.55
Blizzard
Recover
Thunderbolt
Thunderwave

Alakazam LV.55
Ice punch
Recover
Psychic
Thunder Punch

Exeggutor LV.55
Stun Spore
Sleep powder
Psychic
Explosion

From: IN | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged
Face
I invented cancer.
Member # 1916

Member Rated:
posted 12-27-2010 05:33 PM      Profile for Face   Author's Homepage   Email Face   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Nicer team than you had before, me thinks. Only problem is someone with a Machamp could seriously do some damage to half your team. I'd consider that while you may have a lot of normal types, your best bet would be to ditch it in favor of another type altogether if you want to do so. But, you do have Alakazam to deal with a Machamp. [Wink]

- - - - -
Weezing!

From: Hackensack, nj | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged


All times are ET (US)  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:


Contact Us | Azure Heights Pokémon Laboratory

© 2000-2016, Maximum Penetration Industries.

Karpe Diem


The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author(s). The contents and links have not been reviewed or approved by the University of Miami.