next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Azure Heights Forum   » The Courtyard   » Karp Park   » SSB:M Poll

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: SSB:M Poll
The Muffin King
Farting Nudist
Member # 2240

Member Rated:
posted 03-07-2003 06:37 PM      Profile for The Muffin King   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
My school had a Smash Bros. Melee tourny today, in which I got to the semifinals. Just wanted to know which characters you guys like/are best with. The most popular character was by far Roy, which was played mostly by n00bs. The guy who won used Sheik and was playing on Hyrule Temple.

My list:
1. Mario
2. Kirby
3. Samus

Poll Information
This poll contains 1 question(s). 57 user(s) have voted.
You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

Vote Now     View Poll Results

cfalcon
OLDNBLD
Member # 19

Member Rated:
posted 03-07-2003 06:46 PM      Profile for cfalcon   Email cfalcon   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The answer is either Zelda, Roy, or Marth.

I think Sheik is strongest, but I'm not sure. Roy is so whup ass, though... I'm just not convinced that a true pro couldn't outfox him, and his recovery is really bad.

- - - - -
Subject: Ninja and Opensource

From: 39°45' N, 104°52' W | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
cfalcon
OLDNBLD
Member # 19

Member Rated:
posted 03-07-2003 06:47 PM      Profile for cfalcon   Email cfalcon   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Hey wow, you even let me pick up to three! Neato!
The Muffin King
Farting Nudist
Member # 2240

Member Rated:
posted 03-07-2003 07:04 PM      Profile for The Muffin King   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by cfalcon:
The answer is either Zelda, Roy, or Marth.

I think Sheik is strongest, but I'm not sure. Roy is so whup ass, though... I'm just not convinced that a true pro couldn't outfox him, and his recovery is really bad.

The problem with Roy/Marth is that when I play, say Mario, I can just flip 'em around with my cape, and stay away and lop fireballs when they use their counter. And Marth is better than Roy. Roy's just a slow Marth with fireworks and a worse counter. Sheik is easy if you get some distance away from her.

I feel bad though, because the match I lost was played on Corneria, and all these retards were shouting really loudly for the other guy to win (who was like 18) because I beat the shit out of all my other opponents, and I had to keep telling them to STFU. Everybody was like "omg, wtf he's fighting Jared, Jared's gonna cream him. hrhrhr" Then my mom shows up in the middle of the match because she has to tell me in person that I need to get a ride home, and I can't pause the game because it's against the rules. Fine, ok. Then, I get shot by like five fucking lasers, and the tard smashes me. I'm gonna make a recovery, except the damn Arwing blocks my path and carries me out of the level. Fuck.

Final score:

Fox: 156%- 1 life
Mario: 79%- 0 lives

To give you an example of the idiocy of the players, I'll share something that actually happened:

Roy- 90%, two lives left
Mario- 50%, three lives left

This tard grabs a bomb, throws it at me. I deflect it, and BOOM. He goes flying. Shit heads.

I also deflected like twenty pokeballs, mines, bats, and ray gun shots. People just don't learn to not throw things at Mario

I also fought my rival in the second round and won. I feel so happy.

Mario = pwnage

EDIT: Hey wow, you even let me pick up to three! Neato!

Yeah, I figured nobody can choose just one character. Alot of people have the one for fun, the one for competition, and a randomness one.

[ 03-07-2003, 07:07 PM: Message edited by: The Muffin King ]

Mentar the Malady Monkey
worst username ever
Member # 1182

Member Rated:
posted 03-07-2003 07:31 PM      Profile for Mentar the Malady Monkey   Email Mentar the Malady Monkey   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
TMK: The problem with Roy/Marth is that when I play, say Mario, I can just flip 'em around with my cape, and stay away and lop fireballs when they use their counter. And Marth is better than Roy. Roy's just a slow Marth with fireworks and a worse counter. Sheik is easy if you get some distance away from her.

Sounds good in theory, but god help you trying to maintain that every time. Sometimes a counter pops out long before it's practical to jump back and shoot fireballs. Isn't that what throwing is for?

The cape is mucho coolo, though.

Roy is a slow Marth? They're exactly the same speed, except in running and jumping (and jumping speed is a two-edged sword anyway, unless you're really good). Their attacks come out at basically equal speed - the only difference is Roy's forward smash does a lot of damage but has zero range and is one of his few good moves, whereas Marth does significantly less damage but makes better use of his range, plus his repertoire is more practical as a whole.

Worse counter? Not if you use it really offensively. For defense, Marth's takes the cake, but used as an actual attack (sample: launch yourself into a melee with it on at just the last second), Roy's is superior. Plus, it's not like you can really get KOs with Marth's puny 7%.

Err, with how fast Sheik moves across the battlefield, how can you possibly maintain distance from her? The fact that she's the ultimate juggler doesn't help.

- - - - -
WHAT.

From: Pandemonium, HL, Hades | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged
The Muffin King
Farting Nudist
Member # 2240

Member Rated:
posted 03-07-2003 07:41 PM      Profile for The Muffin King   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mentar the Malady Monkey:

Sounds good in theory, but god help you trying to maintain that every time. Sometimes a counter pops out long before it's practical to jump back and shoot fireballs. Isn't that what throwing is for?

I was just citing something to use specifically for Mario, throwing goes with out saying.

quote:

The cape is mucho coolo, though.

YES.

quote:

Roy is a slow Marth? They're exactly the same speed, except in running and jumping...

That's basically what I mean.

quote:

Worse counter? Not if you use it really offensively. For defense, Marth's takes the cake, but used as an actual attack (sample: launch yourself into a melee with it on at just the last second), Roy's is superior. Plus, it's not like you can really get KOs with Marth's puny 7%.

Personally, Roy's counter has too short a window of time for me to work with. Usually I'll pull it off, but when I don't, it really sucks.

quote:

Err, with how fast Sheik moves across the battlefield, how can you possibly maintain distance from her? The fact that she's the ultimate juggler doesn't help.

Run. Grab Ray Gun. Shoot. Shoot Again. Throw Gun. Grab Sheik. Throw Sheik, etc.

Ok so seriously, you can't stay away all the time, but when I mean distance, I'm referring to "not in the immeadiate area of a smash attack." You're right about the juggling thing though. That bitch can fuck you over.

Mentar the Malady Monkey
worst username ever
Member # 1182

Member Rated:
posted 03-07-2003 07:52 PM      Profile for Mentar the Malady Monkey   Email Mentar the Malady Monkey   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Gotcha. I understand now.

On a similar note, is it just me or is Zelda completely useless? Really, I can't think of any reason to use her over Sheik, except that her recovery is better (so you trans into her, recover, then trans back ASAP).

[ 03-07-2003, 07:56 PM: Message edited by: Mentar the Malady Monkey ]

Uiru
Sketch Molester
Member # 437

Member Rated:
posted 03-07-2003 08:12 PM      Profile for Uiru   Author's Homepage   Email Uiru   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Mario is my best character, by far. I really thought it'd be Pikachu back in the day, but... it wasn't. Fireballs were the pwn back in the day. You weren't getting back if I was waiting for you on the edge. Nowadays, the fireballs are not as good but that cape is AMAZING. It does everything.

quote:
People just don't learn to not throw things at Mario
I hear that. One of my two main rivals plays Samus, and wonders why he loses all the time. XD

It's too bad I don't really know how to throw. ^_^;; Well, I know HOW, I just never seem to get the chance to do it so I don't bother.

And Mario VS Sword Whores is a really bad matchup, I've found. Roy and Marth (and Link, to a lesser extent) are very difficult to beat with him, even if I'm fighting someone who I can cream ordinarily. But that might be due to the fact that we usually play without items.

My other choices were Samus and Peach. Samus is a refreshing change from Mario's short range, and Peach is just silly. [Big Grin]
~Uiru

- - - - -
TIDUDSOFIEIHUGHEXXXC: "maybe he will let you touch his blow up do"

AFRO NOOOOOOO!!!

From: the floating castle of Newfoundland | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged
Charmeleon42
Date Rapist
Member # 1066

Member Rated:
posted 03-07-2003 08:22 PM      Profile for Charmeleon42   Author's Homepage   Email Charmeleon42   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Well, your school is obviously the bad ass school, which mine seemingly isn't.

If I was there, I probably would have won the whole thing with Pikachu :/

From: Mountain Dew Land | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
The Muffin King
Farting Nudist
Member # 2240

Member Rated:
posted 03-07-2003 08:33 PM      Profile for The Muffin King   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Uiru: Yes. I hate the sword whores. Like I said. cape 'em: it's hard to time, but it's my solution to everything. Link's easy cuz he's slow. But I play with items, so it isn't so bad for me. I am a DIRTY DIRTY ITEM WHORE, and if winning for competition is at stake, I run away like a fucking rabbit and let people fight it out. Then I come in and smash. Hehe. [Big Grin]

I agree with you on Samus man, she's fun. Especially against someone like C. Falcon or Roy. They can't do anything about the volley of missles, and when they get close, grab 'em, throw 'em up and Screw Attack. Magic.

Btw, ever notice that the Grapple Beam comes out of the gun arm, not the other one, unlike in Metroid Prime?

I'm really a geek for noticing this. [Embarrassed]

And Kirby is *GREAT* to suicide with. I have like 200% damage, and then I take someone out with my throw on the edge. It's orgasmicly satisfying. [Big Grin]

Char42: I doubt it. The last guy was GOOD. I mean GOOD. Like GOOD. I might have beaten him, if I got the right items, but I doubt it.

Did I mention he was GOOD?

Yeah, my school has a tremendous number of geeks, most of them don't have good reaction time though. They spend so much time on RPG's that they never devlop quick reflexes. I have Soul Calibur to thank for this.

I pwn at that game ten times more than I do at Smash. I beat Arcade Mode on Ultra Hard the first time I picked up the game. I was born to play that game. [Cool]

EDIT: Mentar: You're right. Zelda's only good for recovery (and that kick attack she has), but by the time you've transformed in mid air, you're already out of range. Naryu's Love is kinda neat though.

[ 03-07-2003, 08:56 PM: Message edited by: The Muffin King ]

TeLeFonE
X-treme rotary telephone
Member # 2293

Member Rated:
posted 03-07-2003 11:06 PM      Profile for TeLeFonE   Email TeLeFonE   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I like teh C. Falcon. Though, it's always fun to kick the shit out of people with Jigglypuff... especially my brother who's one of those Roy users..

- - - - -
fuck this username is gay

Jman
Farting Nudist
Member # 618

Member Rated:
posted 03-08-2003 12:02 AM      Profile for Jman   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Link, Marth, Jigglypuff.

Case. Closed.

- - - - -
lol pokemon

cfalcon
OLDNBLD
Member # 19

Member Rated:
posted 03-08-2003 02:06 AM      Profile for cfalcon   Email cfalcon   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Well, you guys could be better than me at this game. I would need to play against a good Mario Cape Slut to know for sure the deal on him. My copy got stolen (Miami rules!) out of my parent's house, so I don't really know the deal. I don't have the extensive SSBM background as I should, given that I couldn't find the hardcore to play against often.

On the bright side, I just got my nice Logitech's in, so I finally have some mother fucking low frequencies. Yay big subwoofer.

- - - - -

Mr.E
Farting Nudist
Member # 696

Member Rated:
posted 03-08-2003 03:17 AM      Profile for Mr.E     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
If only I could show you guys my Samus. She's my main, I feel quite good with her. =P Plus, people often overlook her good ground/aerials in favor of Charge Shot and the Missiles (not that THEY're bad or anything either).

Personally, I like to play as everyone since I'm usually playing for fun, there being no real competition around here for me or anything. So I'll random most of the time, say, fighting my cousin. But if I really want to be serious, Samus is the go-to girl. After that, I'd probably have to say that I work decently with Marth. I can really kick ass with Peach as well, but only on a good day with her. =[

Moral of the Story: I need to play some of you guys. [Frown] And Samus 0wns j00.

After seeing results and noticed all voted for but Doc and IC...

DOC FUCKING PWNS MARIO'S NORMAL-TYPE ASS! >:0 Most of you guys play items, I hear? Ice Climbers are the undisputed kings (or king and queen) of item whoring. Dual Fan attack lolol omgwtf

[ 03-08-2003, 03:22 AM: Message edited by: Mr.E ]

- - - - -
MickHale18: nevermind, I'll pull out for a second
MickHale18: *pulls out finger*

From: Munchkin Land, Oz | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged
Dweedle
My hands and feet are mangos
Member # 1209

Member Rated:
posted 03-08-2003 03:21 AM      Profile for Dweedle   Email Dweedle   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
unfortunate "has never played GameCube" option

- - - - -
the only way to get pass this will be to commit suicune

From: second of all, Quagmire's not really a bad guy! | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged
Manuel Calavera
Sock Lover
Member # 1202

Member Rated:
posted 03-08-2003 07:07 AM      Profile for Manuel Calavera     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I always play as Roy. The amount of people that walk into his charged Flare Blade is amazing.

- - - - -
Gates is the Saddam Hussein of the consumer technology world. ~ Mr.K

From: Newcastle, Home of Geordies, Brown Ale and The Wildhearts | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged
ReturnofNumeroUno
Farting Nudist
Member # 476

Member Rated:
posted 03-08-2003 08:53 AM      Profile for ReturnofNumeroUno   Email ReturnofNumeroUno   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Idiots at the Team Xbox forums were saying Kung Fu Chaos is better than SSB:M, hahaha.

- - - - -
Ich Liebe NintendoLover

From: Pembroke Pines Florida | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged
Uiru
Sketch Molester
Member # 437

Member Rated:
posted 03-08-2003 09:21 AM      Profile for Uiru   Author's Homepage   Email Uiru   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Idiots at the Team Xbox forums
HAHE REDUNDANCY REDUNDANCY 8D

As for Doctor Mario... he isn't the original. He doesn't pwn with fire. He doesn't wear red, unless you're playing as Hippie Dr. Mario. Dr. Mario's only perk is that he gets to tap Nurse Peach's ass. [Smile]
~Uiru- Peach in the white or purple dress... *swoon* No wonder I can't win with her. [Big Grin]

[ 03-08-2003, 09:22 AM: Message edited by: Uiru ]

- - - - -
TIDUDSOFIEIHUGHEXXXC: "maybe he will let you touch his blow up do"

AFRO NOOOOOOO!!!

From: the floating castle of Newfoundland | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged
Twinkle
I'm feeling fat and sassy~!
Member # 1690

Member Rated:
posted 03-08-2003 01:48 PM      Profile for Twinkle        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I'm surprised more people don't use Falco. He can do some crazy stuff with that jump he has. One of my favorite tricks is to jump diagonally up through a platform while grabbing an item on it, throw the item downward at my opponent, then finish it off with an aerial down-A. From there, the combo can be continued with the grab/downward throw/shield, then jumping up at them, using up-A on the way up, and if they're still in range, down-A on the way down. (His down-A is not quite a meteor smash, but if done right can still spike someone diagonally downward off the edge of the stage without any risk to yourself. In case you're wondering, Falco's "official" meteor smash is his over-B. Difficult to use, but if correctly executed it recovers itself.)

- - - - -
Hich loch faauto noxlattoyen.

veloS
8=D~~O:
Member # 2636

Member Rated:
posted 03-08-2003 02:34 PM      Profile for veloS     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Fuck all of you. Am I the only Ganondorf Master?

Who R the other 2? You guys rule. The Gerudo King is THE beSt.

- - - - -
www.mightyrhapsody.com

Mentar the Malady Monkey
worst username ever
Member # 1182

Member Rated:
posted 03-08-2003 02:53 PM      Profile for Mentar the Malady Monkey   Email Mentar the Malady Monkey   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I play Doc, Falco and Roy with about equal frequency.

I like Doc for his sheer power. Really, what does Mario have over him? Doc's cape comes out farther than Mario's, plus he has better horizontal jumping range. His pills look ten times cooler than Mario's, even though they're really not as effective. And his forward and down smashes are infinitely stronger than Mario's, though his up smash (which has zero effective range anyway) is much weaker. His moves overall seem to send opponents flying in more violent directions than Mario's.

Falco is just badass.

I still like Roy over Marth, but probably since there are no good players around here, so I resort to the computer.

cfalcon
OLDNBLD
Member # 19

Member Rated:
posted 03-08-2003 03:04 PM      Profile for cfalcon   Email cfalcon   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I never got why Falcon couldn't use his fucking gun. My conclusion was that it was a real weapon, unlike the other ones around, so he couldn't risk blowing some cartoon fag's head off.

But it got silly when the made Dorf a clone of Falcon, so the evil sorceror who, in the game, can't stop throwing fucking death in a can at you, is only melee.

Anyway, Dorf doesn't suck, but I'm convinced he can never connect with a good player.

Mentar the Malady Monkey
worst username ever
Member # 1182

Member Rated:
posted 03-08-2003 03:07 PM      Profile for Mentar the Malady Monkey   Email Mentar the Malady Monkey   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Oh, come now. Most of Dorf's moves come out at the exact same speed as Falcon's - the only difference is, he can't jump all over the place like warts on a Chinese hooker's genitals like Falcon can.
The Muffin King
Farting Nudist
Member # 2240

Member Rated:
posted 03-08-2003 06:34 PM      Profile for The Muffin King   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Doc's too slow for me, and his cape doesn't give you a good enough of a boost in the air to help you recovery. Also, Mario looks much cooler. I could never quite connect with Doc for some reason.

Ganondorf blows. Falcon's attacks are easy enough to see as it is, but to add a slower character on to them just makes it to fucking easy to pound Dorf in to the ground.

Falcon is cool. Too often though I would suicide using the dash attack he has, so I quit playing as him.

Now I'm off to practice with Doc. And Mr. E was right about IC, damn they are item bastards. Too bad they suck. [Embarrassed]

Yurika
Farting Nudist
Member # 2525

Member Rated:
posted 03-08-2003 06:40 PM      Profile for Yurika     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I seem to get some serious pwnage using the doc... Doc is kinda nice if you know how to use him... Sure hes slower but the power is a nice thing...

- - - - -
Remember folks theres no "I" in "Orgy". Now ask yourself "Are you a team player"?

From: Australia, Sydney | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
MK
is somewhat large.
Member # 1445

Member Rated:
posted 03-08-2003 07:03 PM      Profile for MK     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Me, I'm best with Link. I know most people who are serious competitors don't use Link, but, I'm really good with him. I went to a tourney once, and I did some actual damage to some of the best fighters out there with Link.

At the tournament though, there was this one dude, who he was next to unstopable with Jigglypuff. He would shield/dodge every move, his recovery was insane, he was too good...

He did try to use rest on me a couple of times, at least I didn't let him pull that off...

There was also a peach user, I never realzied how lethal that bitch was... My problem is I only get to pratice using the computer on level 9, I don't have any friends in my town who are any good at the game to pratice with...

But, having never had any good pratice with a human, I did pretty good against professionals who get to pratice with other humans all the time...

cfalcon
OLDNBLD
Member # 19

Member Rated:
posted 03-08-2003 07:11 PM      Profile for cfalcon   Email cfalcon   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Where do live that there was a real competition?

- - - - -

Lunair
Farting Nudist
Member # 681

Member Rated:
posted 03-08-2003 07:46 PM      Profile for Lunair     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Mr. Game and Watch is The Man.
As in, "Eat blazing sausage death!"
Or, "Don't make me chair-slap you."
Or, "Thou shalt know the wrath of my Judgement, for I am the One and True G&W!"

Samus: oitch. They completely spayed her in going from SSB to Melee - she was my "Main [wo]man. My ace in the hole. My dawg." back in SSB, what with her wicked aerial-down and -behind, a Screw Attack that had priority over practically everything, and her two flamethrowers which actually DID something.
Now, while the aerial-down is still good, it has a delay that's too much for me. The aerial-behind is nothing compared to its former glory, the Screw Attack is now definitely a recovery move and not an attack, and the two old flamethrowers ARE nothing. The new flamethrower ain't half bad, and neither are her new missiles, but it doesn't make up for her losses. She also seemed faster in SSB than in Melee.

Anyway, I like C.Falcon because 1) he's fast, 2) he's powerful, 3) while he doesn't have projectile attacks per se, he basically launches himself as a human projectile with the Kick. He's also fast. And powerful.
And he has the Falcon Kick.

Ganondorf, though power rolls from his body like gaseous CO2 from dry ice, cannot jump. He's more fun than serious to me (note that the computer is a bitch with his "Dark Dive" as an actual attack), cuz I can't handle the no-jumping-action in a serious match.

Finally, I mourn for Ness. To put it simply: they castrated Ness, and he hasn't recovered since. The step-kick, the dash attack, the yo-yo's, the PK-Thunder 3rd jump - everything, gone.
Poor Ness - I knew him Horatio. A boy of infinite finesse, he carried my game on his back a thousand times...

Now I've gone all nostalgic.
-Lunair
Is remembering...

- - - - -
"Pulling together is the aim of despotism and tyranny. Free men pull in all kinds of directions." Terry Pratchett, The Truth.

From: United Union of Onions | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged
cfalcon
OLDNBLD
Member # 19

Member Rated:
posted 03-09-2003 01:00 AM      Profile for cfalcon   Email cfalcon   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Falcon Kick kinda sounds like Fuckin Shit, which I just loved to death.

Our lines are "Everybody likes eggs!" (Yoshi) and "Sausage Sausage Sausage do you want Sausage? You sure could use some sausage!" (Game and Watch).

I think they hurt Ness more than they should. The fact that throws aren't bullshit was enough to make him pretty fair, making all of his moves totally suck was unnecessary. But, whatever. I guess I'd rather have him underpowered than overpowered, but it does kinda blow cause pk was really good with old Ness. I mean, I think Yoshi's a lot weaker (I honestly believe Yoshi to be the strongest in old Smash: his moves could break a lot of lame stuff), but he's still playable. Ness is not a tournament contender, in my mind.

Mr.E
Farting Nudist
Member # 696

Member Rated:
posted 03-09-2003 01:03 AM      Profile for Mr.E     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Samus: oitch. They completely spayed her in going from SSB to Melee - she was my "Main [wo]man. My ace in the hole. My dawg." back in SSB, what with her wicked aerial-down and -behind, a Screw Attack that had priority over practically everything, and her two flamethrowers which actually DID something.

Oh, come now. While I originally thought the same thing when I found some of my most used attacks were watered down from the original, I've since found that I find her to be better overall than she used to be. For example, her Aerial Up+A seems to be more powerful and improved priority, while her Grappling Beam has less lag behind a miss (especially with a Dash-Grab) and can be used to latch onto ledges.

Now, while the aerial-down is still good, it has a delay that's too much for me.

Many characters have a delay in their toned-down/new spikes, they've been pwnt almost as badly as Throws have been from the original. =[ Still, it's not THAT bad once you DO get used to it.

The aerial-behind is nothing compared to its former glory

It's weaker overall, but it's still nearly as powerful if you hit them right as the kick comes out.

the Screw Attack is now definitely a recovery move and not an attack

It still has the same huge priority from the original, it's just that it doesn't have that vacuum suction to it anymore. =\ So it's still an alright anti-air attack, but it's hardly something to constantly use anymore... Sadly.

and the two old flamethrowers ARE nothing.

I still think her forward is DECENT. I find myself using Neutral A a lot more often now, but the FT still provides adequate cover for hopping yourself back onto the stage when you're hanging from a ledge. Never was much else to use it for, anyway. On the other hand, her Upward Smash FT is entirely worthless now, and probably Samus' worst attack of all...

She also seemed faster in SSB than in Melee.

Her dash is slower, but she's the same otherwise.

Ganondorf can't jump very well, but you can use it to advantage. His aerial attacks are all really good (his Neutral is maybe average or so and that's probably his worst aerial attack). You can hop forward with his short jump and tag them with your Dr. Mario-esque type fist attack or something.

And yeah, just about everything for Ness has been majorly toned down. He's pretty crappy now (IM). =\ Well, I do like his Dash Attack, but...

Had to respond to your post Lun, I wuv meh Samus. 8)

- - - - -
MickHale18: nevermind, I'll pull out for a second
MickHale18: *pulls out finger*

From: Munchkin Land, Oz | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged
Cuban B
Farting Nudist
Member # 1119

Member Rated:
posted 03-09-2003 01:01 PM      Profile for Cuban B   Email Cuban B   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Falco, Luigi, and Peach are my main three, with occasional detours into Ice Climbers and Young Link for fun (which is not to say that they suck, cuz they don't, and i still own whilst playing as them.) [Wink]

damn, my uni had a friggin' halo tournament recently. $500 bux grand prize. all i could think to myself was that i wished it was Melee.

-CB

- - - - -
"Yo, I'm Cuban, B!"
"Yes! Cuban B!"
-Scarface & Samson

Dark_Herakurosu
Farting Nudist
Member # 1677

Member Rated:
posted 03-09-2003 03:05 PM      Profile for Dark_Herakurosu   Author's Homepage   Email Dark_Herakurosu   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I'm best with Zelda/Shiek. Shiek is best first, for building up insane amounts of damage, rendering those early projectiles with ease, etc. Then I switch to Zelda when percents get high. Some 00ber attacks when timed/aimed right. When everybody's gone, I switch back to the Shiekster(-ette).

I'm also great at timing Yoshi's air down+A. On a high edge, eat, jump, down+A, you can get all 54% out of it. Or up smash, jump, down+A. With some heavier characters you'll get the same effect.

Ice Climbers are cheeting campers.

I'm surprised nobody's mentioned Bowser. can't jump, can't run, but his attacks are godlike. I love catching people in his smash B and chewing the fuck out of their face. And on the ground, the Whirling Fortress has the vacuum effect that Samus' Screw Attack is missing.

DK is awesome. Usually when percents get high I just stand there and mash the down B. I don't get any KOs, but I don't get KO'd myself either. Just what is the purpose of his smash B? Enemies get buried in the ground, but they pop right out. DK is surprisingly fast too, for a giant ape. DK and Bowser are like Falcon compared to Ganondorf.

- - - - -
There is more money being spent on breast implants and Viagra today than on Alzheimer's research. This means that by 2040, there should be a large elderly population with perky boobs, huge erections, and absolutely no recollection of what to do with them.

Badcrow
Cute Fluffy Squirrel
Member # 684

Member Rated:
posted 03-09-2003 03:52 PM      Profile for Badcrow     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Venusaur screams out Penisore! when it comes out of the pokeball.
Lunair
Farting Nudist
Member # 681

Member Rated:
posted 03-09-2003 05:10 PM      Profile for Lunair     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Mr.E: "Had to respond to your post Lun, I wuv meh Samus. 8)"

I unnerstan, I unnerstan. My biggest problem is that, whenever I play Samus in Melee, I remember the stuff that kicked ass about her back in SSB and notice that the ass-kicking level has been severely reduced. Her back-air attack is still powerful, I'd agree - but only if you get it just right. It used to be that the entire range of that kick was powerful, not just the tip of the boot.
Forward flamethrower - yeah, it's not nothing, I guess, and it's still useful, but nothing like it was. You could get an easy 24% on guys who failed to ledge-guard you and come out in an advantageous location in SSB with the "fall, jump, flame" method, cuz they'd also be knocked down. It may just be a result of my only playing the computer, but Level 9 opponents get hit by one of the mini-explosions at max.

I don't think my style has changed all that much in going to Melee. This means that the stuff they've done to her and Ness, while it may have balanced them out, has made me bad with them. They're more of Fun characters than Serious ones for me.

The worst thing, though, is a combination of things, IMO.
1) Adding the "Super Shield" technique for reflecting projectiles (and, to a lesser extent, blocking melee moves w/o losing shield power).
2) Making the Level 9 opponents not so much better in terms of technique, but just so much better in terms of sheer reaction time - or lack thereof.
3) Making the computer aware of the fact that reflecting projectiles is possible.
I mean, Fox and Falco only use their Reflector after doing a downwards throw, (Dr.) Mario never uses the Cape/Super Sheet, and Zelda never uses Nayru's Love!
Also, it's possible for this to happen: when Falcon Kick on a Level 9 guy, they do the "Super Block", and then grab you before you've even finished the Kick animation. wtf omg mb u cheatz0rz!

Anyway, that is all.
-Lunair

- - - - -
"Pulling together is the aim of despotism and tyranny. Free men pull in all kinds of directions." Terry Pratchett, The Truth.

From: United Union of Onions | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged
AznExplosN
Farting Nudist
Member # 45

Member Rated:
posted 03-09-2003 06:33 PM      Profile for AznExplosN     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Heh, unless you guys visit smashboards, you are not 1337 in SSBM knowledge.

When marios are projectile spamming me, I just cancel out the projectiles with a neutral attack. It's a very effective defense against fierballs and pills. Against good people, caping won't work. (although a Mario waiting an edge for a recovering marth or roy is very ugly). You gotta have mad anticipation skills.

In terms of attacks, Marth has a quicker recovery on his moves than Roy. So, you can say he's faster than Roy. Due neutral A in sucession, and you'll notice how Marth can do it repeatedly. Also, upthrow somebody and immediately try a tilt up. Marth will beable to pull it out, and Roy won't.

For you mofos who think Doc sucks, he's actually just as good as Mario. Doc has more power, but less Range. Doc's pills have shorter range, but a HUGE stun. Good people will wh0re the pills, it sucks. IMO, the pills are Doc's best weapon.

Ness is actually upper tier. He is still a finnese player, his strenghts lay in spacing. He has an aerial move which has the most priority in the game (Aerial Forward A), with a short assed recovery. All his aerial attacks can kill eaisly. Ness was designed to go aerial, cross up and knock out. Bottom line: Ness is damn good. (back air hurts)

If you guys are looking for hardc0re players, check www.smashboards.com's Tournament Room. SSBM communities are springing up everywhere. D.C. Maryland areas have a good huge group. Not to mention the huge Best in New York tournaments, and all down in Florida. There are even people in Denver.

CFalcon, MK actually attended a tournament that was hosted by me. We had 32 people, 8 TVs, and a 300$ pot.

- - - - -
www.smashboards.com

From: Dallas, Texas, United States | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
The Muffin King
Farting Nudist
Member # 2240

Member Rated:
posted 03-09-2003 08:11 PM      Profile for The Muffin King   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Lunair:Mr. Game and Watch is The Man.
As in, "Eat blazing sausage death!"
Or, "Don't make me chair-slap you."
Or, "Thou shalt know the wrath of my Judgement, for I am the One and True G&W!"

Well, seeing as most of G&W's moves over-ride about 95% of all other moves, he's a force to be reckoned with.

Anyway, I like C.Falcon because 1) he's fast, 2) he's powerful, 3) while he doesn't have projectile attacks per se, he basically launches himself as a human projectile with the Kick. He's also fast. And powerful.
And he has the Falcon Kick.

Falcon is Cape/Counter bait. My friend always plays him, and always loses.

Dark_Hera:Ice Climbers are cheeting campers.

I did that double fan rape thing...and damn. Holy Shit, I wish I knew more about the Ice Climbers earlier. They don't have a counter/reflect move, but their ice block fills that role to an extent.

Azn:Heh, unless you guys visit smashboards, you are not 1337 in SSBM knowledge.

Thanks for making feel like n00b. =(

When marios are projectile spamming me, I just cancel out the projectiles with a neutral attack. It's a very effective defense against fierballs and pills.

That's true. However, you're still being slowed down, right? for me, projectiles are to a) keep someone back long enough for a good item to generate, or b) stop something like C. Falcon's Upper Cut or Yoshi's Egg Roll.

Against good people, caping won't work. (although a Mario waiting an edge for a recovering marth or roy is very ugly). You gotta have mad anticipation skills.

I beg to differ. Caping is awesome, but you can't over do it, or the opponent will learn to cope (once my friend intentionally had his back to me, knowing that I'd cape him, and consequently, I was sent flying). It doesn't work as well against Marth/Roy, but it really comes in handy, especially for edge gaurding. Also works well against attacks life Fox's dash. You do need time it right though, and it's easy to do it too early.

In terms of attacks, Marth has a quicker recovery on his moves than Roy. So, you can say he's faster than Roy. Due neutral A in sucession, and you'll notice how Marth can do it repeatedly. Also, upthrow somebody and immediately try a tilt up. Marth will beable to pull it out, and Roy won't.

For you mofos who think Doc sucks, he's actually just as good as Mario. Doc has more power, but less Range. Doc's pills have shorter range, but a HUGE stun. Good people will wh0re the pills, it sucks. IMO, the pills are Doc's best weapon.

I think the Doc rocks, but like I said, he's too slow, and his cape doesn't help his jump as much as it does Mario, although it is longer. Speed if more important to me than power, it's jsut the way I play. I almost always pick the faster characters over their slower, more powerful clones (C. Falcon-Gannondorf, Marth-Roy, Young Link-Link).

Ness is actually upper tier. He is still a finnese player, his strenghts lay in spacing. He has an aerial move which has the most priority in the game (Aerial Forward A), with a short assed recovery. All his aerial attacks can kill eaisly. Ness was designed to go aerial, cross up and knock out. Bottom line: Ness is damn good. (back air hurts)

Don't even get me started on that little fucker. Of all the characters, Ness is the one that I have trouble playing and defeating. PK Thunder is annoying as hell, and that Baseball Bat jsut pisses me off.

D.C. Maryland areas have a good huge group. Not to mention the huge Best in New York tournaments, and all down in Florida. There are even people in Denver.

That's great news. I live in the Maryland/DC area, and I'd like to attend a tourney sometime. Maybe even NY if I'm up at the right time

Dark_Herakurosu
Farting Nudist
Member # 1677

Member Rated:
posted 03-09-2003 08:45 PM      Profile for Dark_Herakurosu   Author's Homepage   Email Dark_Herakurosu   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Against human players, the cape pwnz. As does Mewtwo's Confusion. Especially against humans who combo like motherfuckers. They start teh combo, you turn them around, by the time they figure out wtf happened, you've got a charged smash waiting for them.

- - - - -
There is more money being spent on breast implants and Viagra today than on Alzheimer's research. This means that by 2040, there should be a large elderly population with perky boobs, huge erections, and absolutely no recollection of what to do with them.

Mewone
I have a pokemon as my username. I mean, come on.
Member # 1694

Member Rated:
posted 03-09-2003 10:16 PM      Profile for Mewone     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Personally, I'm about equal with every character, but excel mostly with Falco and Mewtwo. Everyone else is about the same to me (which definately isn't bad). This game is all about timing and prediction. No matter how fast your opponent is, if you know what they'll use, and how to override it, you have the upperhand.
From: Azure Heights | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
veloS
8=D~~O:
Member # 2636

Member Rated:
posted 03-10-2003 06:11 AM      Profile for veloS     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Ganondorf and Marth and the Doc R the best 3 characters around.

Periodus.

- - - - -
www.mightyrhapsody.com

Ancient Egyptian Cat-Gonk
Happy Good Times Fortune Happiness Happity Hocks Cat-Gonk Happifier
Member # 14

Member Rated:
posted 03-10-2003 06:26 AM      Profile for Ancient Egyptian Cat-Gonk   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Heh, I just took on Coxy at the university computer club..for once he didn't wipe the floor with me and I only lost one game (at which point I left for dinner, lol).

Peach is fucking unstoppable now that I've gotten used to the c-stick, it's a pity that my PURINATOR skills have been severely crippled as a result of his drill kick no longer having an instant recovery.

quote:
Originally posted by Mentar the Malady Monkey:
On a similar note, is it just me or is Zelda completely useless? Really, I can't think of any reason to use her over Sheik, except that her recovery is better (so you trans into her, recover, then trans back ASAP).

Zelda deals out obscene amounts of damage, but IIRC she isn't all that good at smashing people out.

I can't stand Sheik though, given that his/her smashes deal fuck all and I can't handle the speed (though the whip is fun now and again)

- - - - -
http://www.livejournal.com/users/jetblackvalias

From: Perth, Western Australia. | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Fenix
I live in a public bathroom.
Member # 2371

Member Rated:
posted 03-10-2003 06:58 AM      Profile for Fenix   Author's Homepage   Email Fenix   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ancient Egyptian Cat-Gonk:
I can't stand Sheik though, given that his/her smashes deal fuck all

smash up+a
From: The Homeworld, Aiur | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Coxy
Hulkamania has run wild over me.
Member # 2297

Member Rated:
posted 03-10-2003 08:13 AM      Profile for Coxy   Email Coxy   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Heh, I just took on Coxy at the university computer club..for once he didn't wipe the floor with me and I only lost one game (at which point I left for dinner, lol).

Just you wait...
Although, truth be told, I'm not that good. I'm kind of a one character wonder (Pikachu), and I suppose I'm fairly good, but nothing special.

- - - - -
I love nintendolover, but only in a strictly platonic sense.

kikered
Farting Nudist
Member # 830

Member Rated:
posted 03-10-2003 09:35 AM      Profile for kikered   Email kikered   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
For me: Marth, Luigi, and Ness. I'm only somewhat decent at the game though. I finally whipped out Melee when I took the GC to the state band convention in Wichita and got to play against noobs.

Marth-
I *heart* Counter. Unfortunately, everyone seems to know that. The computer, my friends, and even the noobs. However, I can sometimes pull of a Down+Shield dodge and counter with my own throw. My most over-used move is probably the Forward+A smash. When they try to get back on, I attempt an aerial Down+A to spike 'em good. I like to lose to teh TeeJay's Sheik, though.

Luigi-
I started using this character as a fun character since my bro was a ho with "Fire Uppercut" in SSB. I basically just over-use Up+B, Forward+A smash, aerial Forward+A, and Forward+B.

Ness-
I wish Ness was back at his former glory. 'Nuff said.

Member # 14

Member Rated:
posted 03-10-2003 09:55 AM      Profile for Ancient Egyptian Cat-Gonk   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Fenix:
quote:
I can't stand Sheik though, given that his/her smashes deal fuck all

smash up+a
IIRC I still found Zelda's to be more useful, but I haven't played as her for a while.

- - - - -

Member # 14

Member Rated:
posted 03-10-2003 09:59 AM      Profile for Ancient Egyptian Cat-Gonk   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Just you wait...

:-*

Although, truth be told, I'm not that good. I'm kind of a one character wonder (Pikachu), and I suppose I'm fairly good, but nothing special.

I'm good at the N64 version but that's b/c I've had way more experience with it..I've only played the GC version a handful of times (I still haven't gotten Mewtwo on my cart yet).

Given that all the characters I used to play got changed (well, aside from Samus, once I get used to the controls I'll be able to kick more ass with her as my old strategy revolved around the flamethrower and being able to win in a roll-throw fight) I'm really back to square one..not having a GC at college is probably good for me though.

If only I could use Roy/Marth without dying all the time..I just can't control them well enough (lol that statement will kill all respect i have left on this board).

- - - - -

pkthunder
I look like your mom.
Member # 67

Member Rated:
posted 03-10-2003 12:47 PM      Profile for pkthunder   Author's Homepage   Email pkthunder   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I miss Smash. I tend to like to play the sexy men: Roy (sexiest) and Marth, the Cap'n, Link, and Dr. Mario, even Fox.

I played SSBM for the first time in months a few weeks ago. The nerds always have a video game display booth the UF's Science and Engineering Fair. So I played. I didn't get my ass thoroughly kicked, I had him down to only one life left on Stock when I died. But I had completely forgotten about Counter. That would have helped some.

From: Broomfield, CO | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Dav1dL
Farting Nudist
Member # 2046

Member Rated:
posted 03-10-2003 02:11 PM      Profile for Dav1dL     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Sheik = Tilt forward

Rinse, lather, repeat, always repeat. The guyish girls got no weaknesses.

- - - - -
Never argue with an idiot, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

The Muffin King
Farting Nudist
Member # 2240

Member Rated:
posted 03-10-2003 07:32 PM      Profile for The Muffin King   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Sheik is flat out borken- the Curselax of SSBM in a way. She's too fast to even give you an opening, and the only thing that she isn't that great at is wavedashing- which she doesn't even need. No wonder she wins all the tournaments. I refuse to play as her.
cfalcon
OLDNBLD
Member # 19

Member Rated:
posted 03-10-2003 08:26 PM      Profile for cfalcon   Email cfalcon   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
No, see, if you read your post, you'll realize that the correct conclusion is I always play as her.

Thank me later [Smile]

All times are ET (US)  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Azure Heights Pokémon Laboratory

© 2000-2016, Maximum Penetration Industries.

Karpe Diem

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author(s). The contents and links have not been reviewed or approved by the University of Miami.