The Azure Heights Forum

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Azure Heights Forum   » Main Campus   » Omanyte Historical Foundation   » Persian

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Persian
gruco
I am Ian Garvey's lovechild.
Member # 1645

Member Rated:
posted 07-29-2001 02:04 PM      Profile for gruco        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Sadly, it's not the same offensive powderkeg we knew in the chromatics. Thanks to the lowered Slash CHing, Persian's ability to tear through teams is gone. As a result, well, it's just not used. I don't think I've even seen somebody mention the use of a Persian. Maybe Persian isn't as useful in the same role anymore, but that doesn't mean Persian doesn't have it's advantages. What it lost in raw sweeping power, it has made up for in attack diversity and defensive capabilities.

Persian may not have the most impressive stats at first glance, but it does have great speed. That means it can alter stats to its advantage before you opponent can do anything about 'em.

Persian can Psych Up + Roar. This is a very useful ability, and not that many can use it, aside from legendaries. Stantler and Murkrow are the only ones that come to mind, although I'm sure there are others. Anyways, with all sorts or Cursers running around, this is phenominally effective. It also works against BP chains, if timed correctly, and even counters DTing to a degree(you'll have to wait for Roar to hit, but afterwards, you'll be in good shape).

Persian learns Amnesia. This is an excellent compliment to Curse-theiving, as you can quickly become a tank on all sides. Even on without Curse-theiving, Amnesiaing-up on a Poke with no Special weaknesses produces nice results.

Persian learns Charm. Use it against all those Pysical attackers, and it'll have even more durability.

So, ideas for sets?

Persian @leftovers
Return
Psych Up
Roar
Amnesia

Probably not too tough to figure out how this works. Return can be replaced by just about any Normal attack. DE for power, BS for par, even Slash may be viable for the CH rate.

Persian @leftovers
Double-Edge
Thunder
Charm
Amnesia

Amnesia or Charm is first used, depending on what you're up against. Once again, the normal attack can be whatever suits your taste. And yes, that is Thunder you see. I was originally thinking TBolt, but Phildo suggested Thunder, and I think it's the right choice. It's a 2HKO against Skarmory, which is basically the only time you're gonna be using it anyways. It may be a gamble, but if the payoff is large enough, sometimes they can be worth taking.

Of course, Persian is capable of more.

An offensive variety could pack Screech and Shadow Ball.

It could Spite trappers and Roar 'em away.

Hell, if you're crazy enough to try it, you could try to hit a Heal Beller with Hypnosis. Putting a Heal-Beller to sleep tends to be quite an advantageous step.

okay, maybe I'm getting carried away.

Point is, I see potential.

[/rant]

------------------

MK
is somewhat large.
Member # 1445

Member Rated:
posted 07-29-2001 03:56 PM      Profile for MK     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Just a question, would giving Persian a Scope Lens + Slash make up for the Critcal Rate drop?

P.S. Persian can be tough, the moveset you give it really needs to compliment your team. What I mean is, if you don't have anyone else with an electric attack, give it Thunder, etc....

SDShamshel
Farting Nudist
Member # 791

Member Rated:
posted 07-29-2001 04:58 PM      Profile for SDShamshel   Email SDShamshel   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
My Persian Set is as follows...

Double-Edge
Shadow Ball
Bubblebeam
Filler
@Leftovers/Pink Bow/Miracleberry

It can take on plenty of types with this, and Double-Edge is ALMOST as powerful as a Slash from the days of old.

------------------
"It looks like this is my lucky day. I'll take 'The Rapists' for 200."
"That's 'Therapists,' not 'The Rapists.'"
-(Saturday Night Live Celebrity Jeopardy Skit)

AIM: Nobie20

MK
is somewhat large.
Member # 1445

Member Rated:
posted 07-29-2001 05:04 PM      Profile for MK     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Not a bad idea SDShamshel. Maybe Attract/Rest for last move?
gruco
I am Ian Garvey's lovechild.
Member # 1645

Member Rated:
posted 07-29-2001 06:02 PM      Profile for gruco        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Um, yeah, so that second set I posted is illegal. But whatever, just Return over DE.

anyways...

Is Bubblebeam really that useful? T-Tar is(AFAIK), the most popular rock, and I think it wouldn't have any trouble taking down a BBeaming Persian. It'd be great for 4x weaknesses, but I think Skarmory is the bigger threat. I think DE/SB/(electric)/Screech is probably the way I'd go for a more offensive Persian.

*shrug*

------------------

Random Loser
Farting Nudist
Member # 1538

Member Rated:
posted 07-29-2001 06:58 PM      Profile for Random Loser   Email Random Loser   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
My personal favorite...
-Double-Edge
-Psyche Up
-Shadow Ball
-Thunderbolt

------------------
"The statement by our blunderbuss azurian is totally non valid."
-MK

From: Uni of Virginny | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET (US)  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Azure Heights Pokémon Laboratory

© 2000-2019, Maximum Penetration Industries.

Karpe Diem

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author(s). The contents and links have not been reviewed or approved by the University of Miami.