Homology of Matching and Chessboard Complexes -Extended Abstract
John Shareshian and Michelle L. Wachs
Abstract:We study the topology of matching and chessboard
main results are as follows.
- We prove conjectures of A. Bjorner, L. Lovasz, S. T. Vrecica,
and R. T. Zivaljevic on the connectivity of these complexes.
- We show that for almost all n, the first nontrivial homology group of
the matching complex on n vertices has exponent three.
- We prove similar but weaker results on the exponent of the first
nontrivial homology group of the m-by-n chessboard complex for all pairs
m, n for which m and n are sufficiently large and |n-m| is sufficiently small.
- We give a basis for the top homology group of the m-by-n chessboard
- We prove that a certain skeleton of the matching complex is shellable.
This result answers a question of Bjorner, Lovasz, Vrecica, and Zivaljevic
and is analogous to a result of G. Ziegler on chessboard
This paper is available as:
Return to preprints page