The Azure Heights Forum

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Azure Heights Forum   » The Courtyard   » Karp Park   » Video Game violence?

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Video Game violence?
powercat
Farting Nudist
Member # 1103

Member Rated:
posted 10-22-2003 12:33 PM      Profile for powercat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Looks like more fodder for overzealous politicians who want to ban violent video games.

Video Game lawsuit

- - - - -
http://xbox360s.freepay.com/?r=24531001

Porygone
The Goatse Man
Member # 805

Member Rated:
posted 10-22-2003 12:36 PM      Profile for Porygone   Email Porygone   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Yeah, that pissed me off. When I read it like, a month or so ago.

When'll it occur to people that some are just fucked up and use video games as a scapegoat?

- - - - -
YOU'RE WINNER!

From: Celadon City Gym | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged
EspeonNidoking
warcraft 3
Member # 2028

posted 10-22-2003 01:17 PM      Profile for EspeonNidoking   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
video game violence does lead to agressive behavior in a lot of cases. :\

i don't think that's any reason to ban it though.

if you looked at everything like that, then you should ban certain sports, tv in general (even the news), books, etc.

i also agree video games and music are often used as scapegoats for crazy shit that happens.

the intelligence of these people amazes me. how do these people get good jobs or graduate from good schools when they have no common sense? do they just try hard and spend lots of time in the library? cuz these aren't the brighest people i listen to/read about/meet.

interesting read too, i'm a psychology student.

when i say "they" and "these people" i mean the people who critisize video games in general (not necessarily for being violent)..but some adults just will find anything bad about cartoons/video games. it's kinda sad. these people need more life, less faggotry.

[ 10-22-2003, 01:21 PM: Message edited by: EspeonNidoking ]

- - - - -
"Yeah, my pubic hair has dollar signs trimmed in it!

$$Bling Bling$$" ~Jman

From: Summit,New Jersey, Tampa, Fl, and Rindge, NH | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
cfalcon
OLDNBLD
Member # 19

Member Rated:
posted 10-22-2003 02:30 PM      Profile for cfalcon   Email cfalcon   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I agree, the science is actually showing that there is, in fact, a correlation. I suspect this correlation didn't show up before because, well, graphics sucked and the action was unrealistic (overhead, side shooter, nonexistant physics: you were "supposed" to feel like you were in a video game. Just look at Captian N and that Arcade Hour that had a bunch of Arcade based shows- the premise was always that the video game world was just different. For GTA, that wouldn't work.).

But given that, you can't come down on someone because their art form made you do something. That's stupid. This isn't like cigarrettes, with a biological effect. Micheal Moore, when he isn't lying his ass off, does get around to making a couple good points in Bowling for Columbine... basically, he blames the media for a lot of societal violence.

If you can sue manufactures of art / editorial comments on life (GTA and video games, etc.) for making people violent, then you can also sue the news for reporting the truth- if you can show that some aspects of truth cause violence.

I'm pretty sure you'll be able to show that. The whole trick is that if you see or hear about violence, you become innoculated to it. Which goes a long way toward explaining the savage state the world was in a few centuries ago (and still is in, in some cases).

From: 39°45' N, 104°52' W | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Jman
Farting Nudist
Member # 618

Member Rated:
posted 10-22-2003 06:22 PM      Profile for Jman   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The fact is that more people see more violence in books and television than in video games. If you're going to ban video game violence, you might as well cancel 70% of the television and books out on the market right now. Movies are a million times worse than any video game, due to incredible effects and real life actors. Does pushing a button really have that much more effect on a child?

The answer is probably because parents are accustomed to making sure their children don't see rated R or even PG-13 movies until they think its appropriate and they are NOT accustomed to stopping children from playing violent video games. In addition, retailers need to step up the 17 and over rule for Mature rated games. I can walk into any store around and get any M rated game. I've seen 7 year old kids talk their parents into buying a certain game for their kid, nevermind the M rated logo. And I've seen similar parents come into stores to complain about the violence in these games. Excuse me, but there ARE ratings on these things for a reason.

I don't see how video games, a form of media, can't fall under freedom of speech. Parents need to stop worrying about what is in games that kids could theoretically play and start paying attention to the games the child actually IS buying and playing.

Rysto
Farting Nudist
Member # 24

Member Rated:
posted 10-22-2003 06:23 PM      Profile for Rysto   Email Rysto   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Why is it when an adult goes around shooting up random people, he's just crazy, but when a teen does it, videogames made him do it?

(I don't take credit for this quote)

- - - - -
So "a" can be any value?
-a guy in my Calculus class, on the nature of variables

From: Waterloo, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
MK
is somewhat large.
Member # 1445

Member Rated:
posted 10-22-2003 06:34 PM      Profile for MK     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The kid(s) were already crazy... the game just gave them the idea... look at Chess, Chess is more violent than most games, you try to go and KILL the KING AND QUEEN who is a different color than you, we're talkin murder, racism, hatred, and conquering of a kingdom here!
Jman
Farting Nudist
Member # 618

Member Rated:
posted 10-22-2003 07:43 PM      Profile for Jman   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Thats deep, MK.
Mentar the Malady Monkey
worst username ever
Member # 1182

Member Rated:
posted 10-22-2003 08:09 PM      Profile for Mentar the Malady Monkey   Email Mentar the Malady Monkey   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
MK, you killed it. This discussion is now hanging out with Tupac, Elvis, and Metallica's songwriting talent.

In hell.

Inciting violent behavior has never been an excuse to ban or tax anything (with obvious exceptions). Ever. And it never should be.

- - - - -
WHAT.

From: Pandemonium, HL, Hades | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged
Donald
Bob the Builder
Member # 1551

Member Rated:
posted 10-22-2003 08:31 PM      Profile for Donald   Email Donald      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Well... Mentar summed it up. Perfectly.
From: In your girl's panties | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged
ceoalex316
Time for the flaming leprosy party
Member # 338

posted 10-22-2003 09:39 PM      Profile for ceoalex316     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mentar the Malady Monkey:

Inciting violent behavior has never been an excuse to ban or tax anything (with obvious exceptions). Ever. And it never should be.

How about sue? You can't sue Grey Goose or Johnnie Walker for causing people to crash while driving drunk.

Though they have warning labels. If video games had a label like: "May cause violent behavior." Then they would need to restrict games and parent wouldn't buy them as much.

- - - - -
Maximum Penetration Industries.

White Cat
Nobody knows why I'm an admin.
Member # 42

Member Rated:
posted 10-23-2003 02:33 PM      Profile for White Cat   Author's Homepage   Email White Cat      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:

Psybro
Half Psyduck. Half Slowbro. All cop.
Member # 290

Member Rated:
posted 10-23-2003 03:07 PM      Profile for Psybro   Email Psybro   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Has any study been conducted into how aggressive watching football makes teenagers

I think football should be banned

From: Sheffield, South Yorkshire, UK | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
Mentar the Malady Monkey
worst username ever
Member # 1182

Member Rated:
posted 10-23-2003 08:24 PM      Profile for Mentar the Malady Monkey   Email Mentar the Malady Monkey   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by White Cat:
quote:

Pointless semantics. Making it illegal to host a website that specifically suggests that the reader commit violent acts of murder, and detailing just how to do so, is understandable (I'm pretty sure a law amounting to this is more or elss in effect). Banning or suing for anything related to "violent behavior" is not.

quote:
Originally posted by Psybro:
Has any study been conducted into how aggressive watching football makes teenagers

I think football should be banned

amen

- - - - -
WHAT.

cfalcon
OLDNBLD
Member # 19

Member Rated:
posted 10-23-2003 08:47 PM      Profile for cfalcon   Email cfalcon   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 

Unfortunately, this isn't the case. For instance, it is a crime to advocate the violent overthrow of the US government. One of the questions they ask you before you do government work is whether you have ever knowingly given money to a group that seeks that. The caveat is that overthrowing the government *is* legal- there is nothing that a united populace couldn't turn our country into, without breaking any rules (you just have them amend the constitution striking the whole thing and all other laws and put Zoltan in as Emperor- if the populace is united, they elect people who believe the same way, and there you have it). The rule is the violence.

So some of those things are against the law.

But art forms where several meanings are derived are very different. Hell, if they had a game all about a communist revolution in America, it would still be legal.

The more signifigant thing is that all of these links show statistical causality, which is not the same as acutal causality. I mean, if Crazy Kid and I both play Shoot People In The Head, and Crazy Kid goes out and does it, sure, the game contributed- but the entire legal claim would be that the game *made him do it*- and it didn't. It introducted him to some thoughts.

Anyway, this issue is more complex than it looked a decade ago, but freedom of thought and speech will still win out.

Until the neural conditioning implants or something.

Mentar the Malady Monkey
worst username ever
Member # 1182

Member Rated:
posted 10-23-2003 08:53 PM      Profile for Mentar the Malady Monkey   Email Mentar the Malady Monkey   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by cfalcon
Unfortunately, this isn't the case. For instance, it is a crime to advocate the violent overthrow of the US government.

...Yeah, this was one of the exceptions I was alluding to. The line is fairly clear, though.

- - - - -
WHAT.

Charmeleon42
Date Rapist
Member # 1066

Member Rated:
posted 10-24-2003 01:17 AM      Profile for Charmeleon42   Author's Homepage   Email Charmeleon42   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Unfortunately, this isn't the case. For instance, it is a crime to advocate the violent overthrow of the US government.

Even then there is gray area. If I were to go out into the open and shout out "HEY LETS OVERTHROW THE GOVERNMENT, WHOS WITH ME!", I might get some weird looks, but nothing more. And that's not really a crime.

It is a crime if, in the situation, there is an imminent danger of the speaker in the situation actually getting people to do something bad. Noone in their right mind is going to seriously start up a riot right then and there if I shout this out in a crowd, so it's not "imminent".

GTA 3 doesn't tell people to kill, and since millions of people fire the game up on their PC or game system and end up not going out to shoot up the neighborhood, there most certainly isn't any sort of "imminent" danger involved with the game that would make it's playing illegal.

From: Mountain Dew Land | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
cfalcon
OLDNBLD
Member # 19

Member Rated:
posted 10-24-2003 03:01 AM      Profile for cfalcon   Email cfalcon   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Even then there is gray area. If I were to go out into the open and shout out "HEY LETS OVERTHROW THE GOVERNMENT, WHOS WITH ME!", I might get some weird looks, but nothing more. And that's not really a crime.

Well, that's because you aren't actually talking about overthowing the government, you're a nerd who stopped playing DDR long enough to remind everyone around you that you are a very special child.

I mean, I could go to a treeless beach on a sunny day, get in the water, and yell FIRE!... and the same thing might happen. If I were in a theater and yelled SHARK!... again, same thing. But switch those two around, and then I'm getting in some hot water.

I really don't think that "imminence" has anything to do with why these lawsuits are going to fall flat on their face. I think it has more to do with the fact that their case is pretty much going to be based on studies that show kids (actually it applies to everyone, but kids are the more emotionally charged ones) are more likely to behave violently after viewing violent things (and they'll point out videogames specifically, but anything that lets you *see* violence is probably in the same category). The studies show all sorts of cool things. Like, the control group sees something nonviolent, the experimental group sees something violent. Then when each individual walks out into the hallway, they each see a person in apparent pain in the middle of the hallway.

The reaction times are way, way, different.

Anyway, the points that I think are most important are:

1- Any number of things can affect this, most of which are already allowed and no one will argue against.

2- Since the inputs are given to you to *think* about (and not injected into you some how), you get all sorts of immunity. Otherwise you could be arresting civil rights leaders and pretty much anyone who gets the crowd going behind them... and hey, let's burn books. I think the Bible is at the top of books to burn, no?

Those two may be the same point. The E-Reader has turned my brain entirely to mush. Rant later.

Mr. K
Racist
Member # 2

Member Rated:
posted 10-25-2003 02:17 PM      Profile for Mr. K   Author's Homepage   Email Mr. K   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Anyone in favor of banning pot, but not violent video games?

That would be a fun discussion.

From: Cinnabar Island | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET (US)  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Azure Heights Pokémon Laboratory

© 2000-2013, Maximum Penetration Industries.