The Azure Heights Forum

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Azure Heights Forum   » Onix Annex   » Azure Arena   » White Cat's Boring Canadian Tourny Story

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: White Cat's Boring Canadian Tourny Story
White Cat
Nobody knows why I'm an admin.
Member # 42

Member Rated:
posted 06-09-2000 06:00 AM      Profile for White Cat   Author's Homepage   Email White Cat      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Okay, this is what happened at the tournament that I attended in Calgary at the South Centre Mall (?) in late March of this year. The team I took was as follows:

Snorlax (Beanbag): Body Slam, Earthquake, Rest, Selfdestruct
(Since there's not much point in having Rest with no other defensive moves, I'll be replacing it with Hyper Beam in the future.)

Starmie (Buzzsaw): Light Screen, Minimize, Recover, Surf

Mewtwo (Catatonic): Substitute, Amnesia, Rest, Thunderbolt

Mewtwo's there because I was rushed for time and he was one of the few high-level Pokemon I had, plus I thought I'd actually be facing challenging opponents.

Now for some griping: All you could do at that tour was win a Boulder Badge (plus the participation one), not a Cascade. Also, there were no "Nintendo Reps" to challenge. One of the workers said that this was because the Canadian tour didn't have the funding that the American one did.

On the other hand, I've gotten the impression that the US tours had the trainers do most of the battling on the Gameboy, with only the Nintendo Rep battles being fought in Stadium. However, in Calgary they had about ten Stadium stations set up for use in all the official matches, plus two whole trailers full of them, each of which had at least 15 Stadium consoles for free playing.

Anyway, on to the match. I entered the Prime Cup, and got paired up with some kid that I thrashed. I don't recall what he used, but I remember that I was winning by such a wide margin that I pulled out my fully Minimized and Light Screened Buzzsaw just so I could try out Beanbag a bit.

Other stuff: During the free battling, upon seeing that Catatonic's only damaging attack was Thunderbolt, one kid pulled out a Nidoking and gloated "Now you can't damage me!" Buzzsaw felt differently...

There was one kid there who seemed reasonably knowledgable and willing to learn, so I explained the box trick to him. We did quite a bit of battling during that day. Once when were were together in a team battle, we fought a Mewtwo with Pay Day, and snickered to each other for a bit.

I was easily the oldest person there that I saw (I'm 19).

I also got a Mew (OT: LUIGIC) which I haven't bothered to train yet. They didn't give out certificates for it, though.

This took place on Saturday. I had planned on attending again on Sunday after church, but was really tired and ended up not going back (I didn't get any sleep Friday night, and was falling asleep in front of the console towards the end of the day).

Here's hoping that:

1. I can get a Cascade Badge at the Calgary Stampede tourny.
2. I can battle a Nintedo Rep at the Calgary Stampede tourny.
3. The Calgary Stampede actually is a tourny, not just a free battle thing.
4. I can actually go to the Calgary Stampede tourny.

[This message has been edited by White Cat (edited 06-09-2000).]

Yavarice
Farting Nudist
Member # 420

Member Rated:
posted 06-09-2000 03:57 PM      Profile for Yavarice   Author's Homepage   Email Yavarice   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Although it doesn't sound as exciting as some of the US tourneys, i hope you still had fun.

And whats with Canada not being funded! We still got a huge pokemon fanatic population... somewhat... I guess theres not much you can do about Nintendo's marketing decisions.

At least you got a Mew. Hope we can get some too In August here in toronto.

------------------
Breeding: To populate world with Pichus

GolemKong
Farting Nudist
Member # 16

Member Rated:
posted 06-09-2000 04:36 PM      Profile for GolemKong   Author's Homepage   Email GolemKong   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Cool... at least you met peeps w/ gameboys..

Well... I went to a "tour" in Toronto (well.. At Wonderland anyways)... BAH! No one even had a gameboy >.<

I might go to the next on (At the CNE or Canada's Wonderland:
AUGUST
4 -8th: Paramount Canada's Wonderland, Toronto
10-13th: Wakestock Wakeboarding Festival, Muskoka
15-16th: Sportsworld, Kitchener
18 - Sept 4th: Canadian National Exhibition, Toronto
)... but I'd like to know someone from the boards is goin so I can get some real competition.

------------------
Believe it or not, George isn't at home, Please leave a message at the beep, I must be out or I'd pick up the phone. Where could I be? Believe it or not I'm not home.. *beep*
-George's Answering Machine [Click to listen to a .wav file of it ;)]

Yavarice
Farting Nudist
Member # 420

Member Rated:
posted 06-09-2000 10:51 PM      Profile for Yavarice   Author's Homepage   Email Yavarice   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Im planning to go to one or both. I can't say im up to Azure standards yet but i can guarantee a better challenge than most kids.

------------------
Breeding: To populate world with Pichus

B O Problem
Farting Nudist
Member # 264

Member Rated:
posted 06-12-2000 06:16 PM      Profile for B O Problem   Email B O Problem   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I asked one of the staff about the absence of both reps and cascade badges. He told me that the reason the Canadian tours had so little funding was because "Nintendo doesn't think we're as important/good as the Americans!".

------------------
Food goes in here

All times are ET (US)  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Azure Heights Pokémon Laboratory

© 2000-2013, Maximum Penetration Industries.