The Azure Heights Forum

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Azure Heights Forum   » Onix Annex   » Arbok's Internet Cafe   » The Triforce .... ?

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The Triforce .... ?
Jman
Farting Nudist
Member # 618

Member Rated:
posted 05-30-2003 09:54 PM      Profile for Jman   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I've decided to bring my new tournament format to the surface for criticism from all. As we all know, Ruby and Sapphire have been released and a lot of us have been pissing around with this new versions. With new games, comes new online battlers. Fanha is working on the new battler, as far as I know, but its not yet completed.

I figure by the time the battlers are up, we can hammer out these rules for a new tournament type. I like to call it: The Triforce.

Its named this because of the three different game series: RBY, GSC, and R/S. The tournament matches are played on all three platforms.

Every player will placed with several other trainers in a group. I don't know the number yet, but it will be based on the number of players. Hopefully around 4-6 people per group. The number of groups doesn't really matter. Every player will face each other person in their group once. Games will be played in all three platforms, as I've said before. To make things simple, all RBY games will be played on Azure's PBS, GSC games on Fanha's IRC GSbot, and R/S on Fanha's IRC (soon to be created) RSbot. All three games are important, as two records will be kept: Match Wins/Losses(record where win is victory in 2 of 3 game types against a single person) and Overall Wins/Losses(record in all games against all players. Each individual game is counted seperately).

Maybe this is a little confusing. I'll use an example. Meet trainer John and Bob. They're in the same group. So they play a game of RBY and John takes the match. Later, in GSC, Bob destroys John. To decide the winner of the MATCH, they play a R/S game. John wins a close match here. So here are their respective records:

John: Match (1-0); Overall (2-1)
Bob: Match (0-1); Overall (1-2)

When everyone completes all their games, a playoff is played of the top 8 or so people. This is again based off the number of people playing. Players will be admitted to this playoff FIRST by Match record, and in the event of a tie, Overall record. If this is also a tie, the number of opponent's pokemon KO'd (total) will decide the outcome. If that fails, a match will be played to decide who is admitted. Hopefully we won't need to resort to that, as more matches = more time = not good for online tournaments, especially those in the past.

Now that we've got the basic idea down, you're probably like: so its just like every other tournament, just with 3 matches. I see.

Thats not really true. I think we should use Uiru's excellent point system idea. We'd have to expand it to fit RBY and R/S, which may take some time. Oh, I think its important to note. If I run this tourney, we will be using 202 type, so nothing you can't get in the US version of Pokemon Ruby/Sapphire. Sorry, everyone who thinks the other way, but thats what I think is fair. If the other guys/more guys are released before this gets off the ground, or we start another one(probably not), we will change this ruling.

I will not be participating in this tournament if it is started. Instead, I will act as the league administrator, a commish if you will. I think its important to have a central figure to make rulings in a non-judgemental manner. I will be the final judge.

I also want to say that I will be enforcing a strict rule system for cheaters/players who do not play matches/etc. This is the downfall of every tournament, and I don't want mine to be like that. Tournaments can be great if run properly and the players uphold their responsibilities.

We'll be playing by player's standard clauses unless otherwise changed by Uiru's idea.

Volunteers to help me make a new point system for RBY and/or RS would be appreciated. I don't think I know enough about RS to be able to make a point system for it, but I could definitely do the RBY one if I had to.

Any thoughts, ideas, whatever, should be posted here. Just to make sure, this tournament will not start until A) we get enough people, B) RSbot is completed, C) I get enough support/new point systems, and D) I make a website with all the fine print.

Here's hoping to a good discussion about this idea to better the Pokemon community as a whole.

- - - - -
lol pokemon

Artie Cuno
Linkin125473457539
Member # 1205

Member Rated:
posted 05-30-2003 10:27 PM      Profile for Artie Cuno     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Okay. Framework for RBY:
Starting points: 21
M2= 12 points
Mew= 9 points
Zappy, Molty= 8 points
Articuno, Chansey, Slowbro, Alakazam= 7 points
Charizard, Blastoise, Venosaur, Raichu, Vileplume, Electrode etcetera (almost all final evos of evolving Pokemon)= 4 points
Clefable, Wigglytuff, Persian, Parasect, Magmar, Electabuzz, Seadra: 3 points
Gloom, etc., plus Tangela, Pikachu, Mr. Mime, Jigglypuff, Clefairy, Pidgeotto: 2 points
Weedle, Kakuna, Caterpie, Metapod, Horsea, Squirtle and misc. unevolved things: 1 point

Rough and crappy, but there're the basics. Get to it.

- - - - -
Piss off not the kittens, lest they claw your balls off.

From: A box in a swamp. With your sister. | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged
Haruka
Farting Nudist
Member # 3300

Member Rated:
posted 05-30-2003 11:10 PM      Profile for Haruka   Email Haruka   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jman:
we will be using 202 type, so nothing you can't get in the US version of Pokemon Ruby/Sapphire.

Japanese paks can trade with US you know, so unless you mean in-game only (I.E. Pokémon Center Pokémon excluded) there's no difference in the Japanese or US paks.
Jman
Farting Nudist
Member # 618

Member Rated:
posted 05-31-2003 11:22 PM      Profile for Jman   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Oh, I didn't know that.

Well, whatever. 202 rules by purely autonomous means, I guess.

And Arti, thats pretty good. I've got a few small discrepancies, but it looks pretty good.

Team_Rocket_Vaporeon
Orangutan Spouse
Member # 3327

Member Rated:
posted 06-12-2003 07:59 PM      Profile for Team_Rocket_Vaporeon     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Ok, your rules may have to change before the tourney starts because 386 IS going to be official soon! Check out the e3 screenshots of Pokemon Colosseum at www.rpgamer.com, and you tell me what YOU see!
Crimzonite
Farting Nudist
Member # 307

Member Rated:
posted 06-12-2003 09:28 PM      Profile for Crimzonite     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Team_Rocket_Vaporeon:
Ok, your rules may have to change before the tourney starts because 386 IS going to be official soon! Check out the e3 screenshots of Pokemon Colosseum at www.rpgamer.com, and you tell me what YOU see!

Well, what I don't see is a reason why people absolutely have to change the rules of the tournament. I wouldn't be surprised if there were lots of people that would prefer the 202 type to the 386 type.

All times are ET (US)  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Azure Heights Pokémon Laboratory

© 2000-2013, Maximum Penetration Industries.